SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-11-05, 10:01 AM   #1
owennewo

Default Difficult cold start (and loose exhaust pipe)

I had a hell of a time starting my bike this morning (it was about -2 degrees in Cardiff).

Anyone got any tips on choke position, throttle when it's cold. With the choke off, the engine seems to start and then stop after half a second. With the choke on it doesn't seem to 'catch' so much.

Also my exhause pipe is a little 'heath robinson', it's got 3 sections - 2 of which don't have the best seal when cold, but seem to tighten up when they warm. I get the occasional backfire when it's starting - is this likely to be a big factor in my difficult cold starts?

Owen
Old 17-11-05, 10:15 AM   #2
jonboy

Try 3/4 choke and an 1/8th throttle, which seems to work perfectly for me. I wouldn't think the small exhaust leak would make much difference to actually starting it.

Old 17-11-05, 10:29 AM   #3
owennewo

Nice one jonboy,

Will give that a go tomorrow. Do you guys up the idle speed in the cold?

Mines running at ~1400 after its warmed up.

Owen
Old 17-11-05, 11:16 AM   #4
jonboy

I do tend to up the idle during the colder months to 1500 but 1400 should be perfect. It certainly doesn't affect the actual starting of the bike.

Old 17-11-05, 11:32 AM   #5
Jelster

If that doesn't work, I always found that full choke and no throttle was a good combination.

[thinking mode] I haven't had a choke since selling the SV, it's all been FI... [/thinking mode]

Old 17-11-05, 01:20 PM   #6
Jase22

I only run my idle at 1200rpm and don't have any problems.

If you're on full choke, a little 'blip' as you've got the start button pressed usually works on my SV (it's a 2000 Y model).
Old 17-11-05, 01:58 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

My bike starts fine on cold mornings, I always try full choke with no throttle first, if it doesnt catch then I'll try a bit of throttle

I to have turned my idle speed up to about 1300 - 1400rpm

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-05, 10:27 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Personally I reckonthat it's best to start too low and work up- too much choke can cause problems, while too little choke will just mean you don't start. For some reason mine starts best with just a little choke but then needs more to idle well on a really cold start. SO I start it, rev it a little, then up the choke.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-05, 04:16 PM   #9
owennewo

Thanks all,

The bike started first time this morning - I reckon I must have flooded the engine yesterday.

Putting a cover on it for the first time this year may have also helped (Jack frost left 1/4 inch of frost on the cover this morning).

Is there any way to clear a flooded engine other than waiting a few minutes?

Owen
Old 18-11-05, 05:16 PM   #10
Chatterbox

You can try no choke and no throttle and cranking it over, just dont crank for more than about 15 seconds if a carb model
For most modern fuel injection I think you can crank with full throttle if they have idle stabilisers, but no throttle if they dont, but that may only be for cars, not too sure about sv's, but i'm sure someone out there will know.