SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-08-16, 10:08 AM   #1
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Blinded by the light

Was out for an early evening ride yesterday, and only just avoided being wiped out by an oncoming car whose driver was obviously dazzled by the evening sun.

I was heading east on the A623 just past Tideswell, the road has been recently resurfaced so no road markings as yet. Nissan Micra coming up the hill towards me, heading west into the sun. I see it's drifting toward the crown of the road, so I move left to make room. Then it suddenly veered fully into my side of the road. So I give it full anchors and head to the soft verge, just remembered in time to let off the brakes as I get to the loose stuff there. The Micra went past within touching distance as I'm doing 5mph right by the grass verge, as it passed me it lurched back to the correct side of the road.

Sure enough, it was a little old dear out for an evening drive with her hubby, not using the sun visor and without sunglasses. She'd obviously got confused because of the lack of white lines / road markings. Good job there were no cars / lorries behind me.

Yet another reminder that bikers have to do the thinking for every other bugger on the road ....
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-16, 03:15 PM   #2
Blapper

Default Re: Blinded by the light

Amen to that Craig!
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-16, 10:12 PM   #3
Flybuster

Yep. !
Count yourself lucky you weren't in a car with your family in that situation.
Flybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-16, 11:15 AM   #4
yamrdtez

this is a good pointer for all, this time of the year the sun is lower in the evenings, us bikers know this and wear shades ect, but the muppet car drivers don't seem aware
Old 16-08-16, 12:01 PM   #5
Blapper

My wife was driving in France when an old boy pulled across in front of a car full of family at the last second. All survived because the crash protection worked but it could have been carnage. "Le soleil!" he said. Berk she said.

At my age (62) I notice a great difference in the effect of the low sun on my vision and even with a flip down sun visor there is markedly less contrast in what I can see.

Glad you're OK.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-16, 11:27 AM   #6
ManMango

Thanks for the post, good reminder. I live near the coast and we get some blinding(both kinds) sunsets. So lots of rubber necks out aswell.