SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-08-16, 10:26 AM   #1
gibbzy2k1

Default curvy died and wont start now! update. idle but won't run

I've have the curvy of the road for a couple of weeks. Have replaced pads all round, new tyres and and new exhaust.

Finally went to take it out last night and it didn't go well. It and started fine, went a gew hundred yards down the street in 1st, sounded different.

About half hour later u went to take her for a run. Started no problems pulled off into 2nd and nothing there. Back into 1st and noting past 4k revs and then died.

Now she just turns over but won't actually start.

Any ideas what we are looking at here? Missed the bike over the last few weeks and would like to get out before the summer ends. Lol

Last edited by gibbzy2k1; 29-08-16 at 06:28 PM.
Old 20-08-16, 10:33 AM   #2
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Re: curvy died and wont start now!

Any chance of the fuel filter being blocked? Water in the tank?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-16, 10:52 AM   #3
gibbzy2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Any chance of the fuel filter being blocked? Water in the tank?
A possibility, although the bike has been under a cover for most of the 2 months its been of the road. I started it a couple of times a few weeks ago to test the sound levels of the exhaust when fitted and it was fine then. Although I didn't ride it then.
Old 29-08-16, 05:19 PM   #4
gibbzy2k1

Had a little look. So far I have checked the fuel pump and it seems ok. When turning over fuel is pulsing out. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the carbs and cleaned out the airbox. I go it started and it ticks over. Sounds a bit rough and backfires a little. I managed to get it around the street but that was it. It's starts and will idle but as soon as you touch the trotted it will stall.
Old 29-08-16, 05:22 PM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

sounds very much like fuel starvation, enough getting through to let it idle, but once its opened up the fuel system can't supply enough.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-16, 06:30 PM   #6
gibbzy2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
sounds very much like fuel starvation, enough getting through to let it idle, but once its opened up the fuel system can't supply enough.
That's what I was thinking. Are we talking filter, pump or jets? Type thing. I have a bleeder kit on order to drain the fuel from the tank so I can get the rap and filter thing off for a look.
Old 29-08-16, 07:15 PM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

There isn't a pump, but it has been known for the diaphragm in the fuel tap to perish, that needs checking.

The fuel tap is operated by vacuum from the rear cylinder, make sure that that pipe is in good order and connected to the spigot on the inlet.

Possibly fuel tank filter, empty & check the filter

Drain the float bowls and see if there's any gunk in the fuel, then you might need to clean the carbs.

Water in the tank? You need to check the drain pipe in the tank hasn't rusted through. Get a straw & blow down the drain hole near the tank filler. Any bubbles in the tank means it's rusted through.

Last edited by maviczap; 29-08-16 at 07:16 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-16, 07:17 PM   #8
daktulos

I had a similar problem - I think it was firing on one cylinder, and as soon as the throttle was opened up, it would stall. It had been off the road longer than yours, but the first time I started it, it ran well ... it was the second time it stopped working, I guess junk from the float bowl got into the jets.

Taking the carbs apart and cleaning the jets fixed it for me.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-16, 07:25 PM   #9
yamrdtez

check both header pipes are getting hot, if you are only running on 1 cyl when you get past a 1/4 of the throttle you may have a blocked main jet
Old 29-08-16, 08:40 PM   #10
gibbzy2k1

Both carbs were sucking. If that's an indication.

Would it be worth getting the stage 2 jet kit if I have to get the carbs all out and clean it all?