SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-07-21, 10:39 AM   #221
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Covid19 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I have no problem with relaxing the rules if done prudently but pretending that the exponential explosion of case rates in parts of the country does not exist is not being prudent..

Read previous posts, plenty of 'cases' ( found due to massive testing, but no serious symptoms ) but very, very few hospitalisations or deaths. The link between an infection and serious illness is broken. Hopefully ( and it seems certain ) that cases of an already seriously chronically ill person over 80 getting a sniff of the virus and keeling over are long gone. younger people may get symptoms but 99.9% hardly get sick and certainly won't 'overwhelm the NHS' which appeared to be the governments main aim in previous lockdowns, and there was me thinking the NHS was there to protect us....

We are yet to find out how many 'lockdown casualties' will be appearing, a couple of older people I know who were out and about before lockdowns are in worse health now, one bloke aged 80 used to go out 2 or 3 times a week on the bus to see his mates for coffee in local town, he used to walk around to local mates for a chat, during lockdowns he was basically housebound and it has taken its toll, he is now in a care home, having lost a lot of use of his legs ( due to not getting out ) and I don't think he will get back to his previous mobility level. Factor in the fact that pretty much all diagnosis and treatments for diseases like cancer and daibetes ahve been closed, as well as GP's 'hiding' and unavailable and the fallout from lockdowns is gonna become clear in coming years, and arguably many more will die from lockdowns than from the virus itself.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 11-07-21 at 11:05 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-21, 03:14 PM   #222
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
We are yet to find out how many 'lockdown casualties' will be appearing, a couple of older people I know who were out and about before lockdowns are in worse health now, one bloke aged 80 used to go out 2 or 3 times a week on the bus to see his mates for coffee in local town, he used to walk around to local mates for a chat, during lockdowns he was basically housebound and it has taken its toll, he is now in a care home, having lost a lot of use of his legs ( due to not getting out ) and I don't think he will get back to his previous mobility level. Factor in the fact that pretty much all diagnosis and treatments for diseases like cancer and daibetes ahve been closed, as well as GP's 'hiding' and unavailable and the fallout from lockdowns is gonna become clear in coming years, and arguably many more will die from lockdowns than from the virus itself.
The fall out (subsequent Hospitalisations/deaths) from people not being able to get early diagnosis, Cancer treatments, or other medical appointments will dwarf the Covid numbers (the ones who were 'saved' and those who succumbed to it) in the coming few years.

My local GP surgery (bear in mind i have access to 3 of them, under the same group) are still not having any face to face appointments. Which is ludicrous for the large area they cover.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 02:12 PM   #223
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
The fall out (subsequent Hospitalisations/deaths) from people not being able to get early diagnosis, Cancer treatments, or other medical appointments will dwarf the Covid numbers (the ones who were 'saved' and those who succumbed to it) in the coming few years.

My local GP surgery (bear in mind i have access to 3 of them, under the same group) are still not having any face to face appointments. Which is ludicrous for the large area they cover.
I received a letter saying the doctors at my surgery would in future be able to discuss more than one medical condition of the patient at a review. I wonder what genius thought that that one up ! I still only saw a nurse at my annual review though, or maybe that's what's supposed to happen.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 02:48 PM   #224
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I received a letter saying the doctors at my surgery would in future be able to discuss more than one medical condition of the patient at a review. I wonder what genius thought that that one up ! I still only saw a nurse at my annual review though, or maybe that's what's supposed to happen.
We've not been able to talk about two things in an appointment for as long as I can remember - I think it's just to try and keep to schedule.

While it's not all good news, my wife (who has put her back out) has had a result with our GP. Rather than calling up in the morning and trying to get an emergency appointment in the surgery, take time off work to go and sit in the waiting room surrounded by sick people, she put a request in through the website, was sent a 15 minute phone appointment slot and had her prescription sent straight to the pharmacy after it.

They've had the technology for years, why has it taken COVID to make such obvious improvements?
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 04:25 PM   #225
Seeker
Mega Poster

I think we've made it! NE Lincs virus cases now at 930 per 100k and I think that makes us #1 in England, 12 July 2021.

♪♪ NE Lincs is #1, NE Lincs is #1 ♪♪...oh wait

"Cleethorpes, plague capital of England"

Last edited by Seeker; 12-07-21 at 04:27 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 10:23 PM   #226
svenrico

Quote:
I think we've made it! NE Lincs virus cases now at 930 per 100k and I think that makes us #1 in England, 12 July 2021.

♪♪ NE Lincs is #1, NE Lincs is #1 ♪♪...oh wait

"Cleethorpes, plague capital of England"
Will I be ok for the sidecar meeting at Cadwell Park ?!
Old 13-07-21, 06:34 AM   #227
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Will I be ok for the sidecar meeting at Cadwell Park ?!
Yes, they're in East Lindsey only 270 cases per 100k.

If you have to drive through NE Lincs keep your windows closed, "air" set to recycle. If you hear a bell and a plaintive "bring out yer dead" do not stop for a selfie ... The plague carts are back in the depot by 8am.
Do not forget that my MP says he's content so you'll be safe. (well, possibly safe... I mean are any of us truly safe?).

If you're on a bike from the north you'd have to approach via North Lincs to West Lindsey for safety's sake.

update: NE Lincs is only #2 not #1 for virus cases, we were beaten by Sth Tyneside, we need to up our game - and I had all the posters printed too.

Last edited by Seeker; 13-07-21 at 07:47 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-21, 10:33 PM   #228
svenrico

Quote:
Yes, they're in East Lindsey only 270 cases per 100k.

If you have to drive through NE Lincs keep your windows closed, "air" set to recycle. If you hear a bell and a plaintive "bring out yer dead" do not stop for a selfie ... The plague carts are back in the depot by 8am.
Do not forget that my MP says he's content so you'll be safe. (well, possibly safe... I mean are any of us truly safe?).

If you're on a bike from the north you'd have to approach via North Lincs to West Lindsey for safety's sake.

update: NE Lincs is only #2 not #1 for virus cases, we were beaten by Sth Tyneside, we need to up our game - and I had all the posters printed too.
Should be ok then, I've never really noticed anywhere much to stop at between the Humber Bridge and Cadwell Park anyway ! There is a BP, I think it is ,service station near a roundabout ,but apart from that a straight run through .
Old 16-07-21, 11:51 AM   #229
Seeker
Mega Poster

I'm a cautious person; risk averse. So statements like this make me nervous:

"The UK's decision to end most Covid restrictions on 19 July poses "a danger to the world", an international group of scientists has warned.

The group, which includes official government advisers to countries including Italy and Australia, says the government is pursuing herd immunity by mass infection."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/c...-b1885144.html

Maybe the Independent is left of centre and thus not aligned with the Prime Moron's message? Let's see what the Daily Mail says:

"Britain WILL 'of course' face a new lockdown if Covid third wave hits 'unacceptable' levels of hospitalisation, minister warns as Whitty admits UK may have to consider new restrictions within weeks"

(The Daily Express headlines are about farming - they're still on about Brexit)

...Back with the Mail. Since virus cases are accelerating the Mail is concerned about the NHS (Serco's) app since it appears to be on track to ping everyone in the country:

"Will 'pingdemic' paralyse Britain? Bosses warn factories will shut, food could run out, hospitals cancel holidays and 1.6MILLION people in a week are told to isolate - but ministers still REFUSE to back down over app chaos"
As far as I can tell, they want the app to be desensitised which is akin (imho) to disabling the smoke detector in your house.

My old roommate in the US said that if something doesn't make sense, a piece of the puzzle is missing. So, if the medical professionals say that "Tory Death Cull Day" July 19th is a bad idea, scientists in the UK and abroad say it's a bad idea, why are we doing it? The number of second dose vaccinated people is about 65% - why not wait till that's 85%?
Old 16-07-21, 12:11 PM   #230
svenrico

Quote:
I'm a cautious person; risk averse. So statements like this make me nervous:

"The UK's decision to end most Covid restrictions on 19 July poses "a danger to the world", an international group of scientists has warned.

The group, which includes official government advisers to countries including Italy and Australia, says the government is pursuing herd immunity by mass infection."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/c...-b1885144.html

Maybe the Independent is left of centre and thus not aligned with the Prime Moron's message? Let's see what the Daily Mail says:

"Britain WILL 'of course' face a new lockdown if Covid third wave hits 'unacceptable' levels of hospitalisation, minister warns as Whitty admits UK may have to consider new restrictions within weeks"

(The Daily Express headlines are about farming - they're still on about Brexit)

...Back with the Mail. Since virus cases are accelerating the Mail is concerned about the NHS (Serco's) app since it appears to be on track to ping everyone in the country:

"Will 'pingdemic' paralyse Britain? Bosses warn factories will shut, food could run out, hospitals cancel holidays and 1.6MILLION people in a week are told to isolate - but ministers still REFUSE to back down over app chaos"
As far as I can tell, they want the app to be desensitised which is akin (imho) to disabling the smoke detector in your house.

My old roommate in the US said that if something doesn't make sense, a piece of the puzzle is missing. So, if the medical professionals say that "Tory Death Cull Day" July 19th is a bad idea, scientists in the UK and abroad say it's a bad idea, why are we doing it? The number of second dose vaccinated people is about 65% - why not wait till that's 85%?
The usual c*ck ups. They didn't have to abandon all restrictions at once.
Not surprised some are still on about Brexit, it will be ongoing for years, nobody ever did really know what the consequences were going to be.