SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-05-06, 09:14 PM   #1
PWNDLOL

Default Gear Indicator

I have a 04 sv650s with the digi speedo but the tach is analog. I am interested in adding a gear indicator. Most that ive seen for sale say the tach and speedo both have to be electronic. Has anyone added one of these?
Old 18-05-06, 09:33 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

The tach is digital as its run with a signal from the ECU or a pulse from the coils. I think its the ECU on the pointies, not 100% though. Yes people have had these added to pointy SVs.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-06, 02:36 PM   #3
igor

I just recently put this on my K5. The tach has an analogue clock but the signal is a digital pulse from the ECU.

If you buy the Acumen digi gear indicator you can buy a plug in unit and it's a half hour job to fit but it'll cost just over £100 (£70 for indicator & about £35 for loom plug in)

I fitted the datatool unit which needs to be soldered to the existing wires and needs a wire run from the indicator to the ECU under the seat. I've taken photos as I was doing it if you want to have a look I can send them to you. Datatool one is about £60.
Old 19-05-06, 02:40 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Veypor's got one built in, plus it does loads of other entertaining stuff... Though to be fair, the gear indicator isn't the best. It's a bit laggy, and it works by matching the revs to the speed so slip the clutch and it all goes a bit funny. Not drastically worse than Digitool or ACument though, IMO.

I seem to recall someone wired the gear indicator to the sv's own gear indicator- the one that's used to activate the timign retard etc. I didn't thik that'd work but it seems it might...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-06, 02:53 PM   #5
igor

The datatool one does lag a bit aswell, takes about a second to register but it does stop me from occassionally trying to shift into 7th. I find it most useful for knowing exactly what gear I'm in before approaching a corner as I'm still new to the bike.

If you have an S model then you can build it into the dash, one of the other guys on here did it and I copied what he did. You fit a large grommet around the unit and pop it in place, securing from behind with sticky stuff, I used marine grade sealant which is free if you work offshore

Wiring it in to the SV's gear indicator would be best but I reckon that's a tricky one to do and get it right. Depends on how much you like "projects" (also sometimes referred to as - how on earth to I put all this back together again??)
Old 22-05-06, 05:03 AM   #6
Graham

It's a twin, You don't need to know which gear it's in
Besides there is only 6 of them