SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: If you came back to your bike to find another bike chained to your chain. Would you
Happy about it 38 79.17%
Unhappy about it. 10 20.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-06, 01:18 PM   #1
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Bike Security

Inspired by another thread....

I have been advised by someone (I honestly can't remember who) that if leaving my bike on the street next to another bike but with nowhere to chain to, that I should chain my bike to their chain.

I run this past a few friends with bikes, some were very positive about it, some very negative - in the "bl00dy cheek" sense.

So, if you came back to your bike to find a bike next to it, parked properly (ie distance was good, not too close, not blocking you or anything) but chained to your chain, what would you do

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 01:25 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

If it was chained to my chain then i would be ok with that. But formost get to grips with the idea that your bike has a good chance of getting damaged or stollen in london.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 01:25 PM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

Provided it's not done in such a way that makes it a pig for me to un-tangle my bike when I've undone my chain I'm all for it. A chain not attached to anything is no more use than a disc lock anyway
Old 05-09-06, 01:28 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Can't see any downside at all, provided people aren't being idiots about it- and in that case the problem is their idiothood, not the chaining Never done it though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 01:37 PM   #5
Baph

Wouldn't have an issue with it at all.

I would however be a little concerned that when I moved my bike, there's would be chained to thin air!
Old 05-09-06, 01:37 PM   #6
Blue_SV650S

If it didn't impede me at all (in ways mentioned above) after the initial shock, I'd actually be positive about it, lets face it their bike chained to yours had aided BOTH of your security

I think it should be an unwritten rule amongst bikers to use this method where there is nowhere permenent to lock you bike to, it is actually like looking out for each other

Old 05-09-06, 01:42 PM   #7
creamerybutter

There was a campaign obut this a while back in MCN but the difficulty you never know if the owner of bike your looping to minds. Maybe a sticker or something would help. But ultimatly I would prefer it if councils out in more security for motorbikes after all there is loads for pushbikes.
Old 05-09-06, 01:44 PM   #8
kwak zzr

cant see no problems so why not.
Old 05-09-06, 01:49 PM   #9
Kinvig

as long as no damage to my bike & it's not interfereing with my bike!!!!
Old 05-09-06, 02:52 PM   #10
Nutter

The is a scheme called Lock 2 Lock (or L2L) that promotes locking chains together to reduce thefts. You can get stickers from them to put on your bike so people know you are happy for them to lock their chain to yours, and so that if you see a bike displaying the stickers you know they don't mind either. I don't know how popular these stickers are, but I've never seen a bike with one. You can either join as a member of the scheme for £10 or just get the stickers for £2.85. Joining just seems to get you a tax disc holder and a list of discounts available as extras.