SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-12-08, 04:36 PM   #1
chakraist

Default Who would have thought it?

So I had a little off the other day, I'm fine, the bike is pretty fine; just the usual crash bung bent, weirdly the front left fairing piece is a little bent as well (as opposed to scuffed or snapped), i think the front subframe is a little twisted maybe - I have a spare I'll fit probably after winter.

So apart from that, the left footpeg hanger sheared off just behind the bolt, annoyingly. I went home and got a spare left footpeg assembly off a '99 bike; mine is a '00. I figured all the parts would be the same.

After buggering about today for ages trying to sort it all out I finally got it all bolted together and tried screwing the gear shift rod thing into the bit what where it should go, put it all together and the gear lever is way out of angle, it's basically at 70 degree angle downwards. At this point I realize what's happened and compare the two gearshift connecting rods- the '00 is about an inch longer than the '99! And I managed to snap the '99 trying to unscrew it. So that was ridiculously annoying; I bent the **** out of the '00 connecting rod so it fits just about, but it's a trip to Robinson's for me tomorrow.

Sorry about the length, I'm just really bloody annoyed- there is no need for the two rods to have different lengths!

Also does anyone know the type of bolt that screws into the seat to hold it in? I lost one of them today
Old 14-12-08, 04:40 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Who would have thought it?

Have you got a faired bike link rod and a naked bike hanger? The 2 are different.
Old 14-12-08, 04:43 PM   #3
zunkus

Seems you were working in a messy environment to loose one of the seat bolts. Keep something handy to put all your dismantled stuff in otherwise you end up loosing half the bike. You should find a replacement bolt pretty easy if you take the other alan bolt with you to Wurts or an ironmonger I guess. Was the gearshift connecting rod off a naked maybe and you've a sporty? Those are different lengths for sure.
Old 14-12-08, 04:44 PM   #4
chakraist

They're both off faired bikes; although the spare bike I had belonged to Blue so I'm not sure whether he changed it with a naked bike hanger or not, it was a Cat C that he repaired I believe. Hmm... if the rods are the same length I'm going with the naked bike rod. Alternatively, I could buy two rods and put them in my eyes!

Edit: Yeah, I lost the seat bolt a while back and didn't bother replacing it as it was all fine and I had stuff to do, now I think I need to as it's a bit loose.
Old 14-12-08, 04:46 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

The seat bolts don't really matter.
Old 15-12-08, 01:28 PM   #6
vardypeeps

I managed to fix my seat bolt!

The seat also has a washer on the plastic tab the bolt goes through. I grabbed a bolt and two nuts from a little kit I have and used a G-Clamp to push the nut into the space in the seat tab.
Then I lined it up and screwed the bolt in with a nut on the other side to hold it all in place.

I think that makes sense???
Old 16-12-08, 04:35 PM   #7
chakraist

So I got the correct size link rod (150 mm instead of 175) and everything was good. I was happy, no, we were happy. And then pootling down the a2 I go for a gear and bam, there's no lever! Link rod had fallen out.

Made it rather stylishly another 15 miles in 6th before the clutch started slipping really badly and I had no drive left. New rod is on order, buses for the next few days; anyone one why the clutch (perfectly adjusted and never slipped before) would hate me like this?
Old 16-12-08, 04:36 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Cooked it by riding in 6th all the time?
Old 16-12-08, 04:46 PM   #9
chakraist

By cooked it do you mean cooked like fubar'd or cooked as in will cool off and be fine? Cheers btw!
Old 16-12-08, 04:49 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Depends whether it's more a medium rare or a well done.