SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-01-14, 03:57 PM   #1
Scriv09

Default Commuting on an SV?

Have just purchased myself a 63 plate PDI'd sv650 in black for 4k for commuting to work, hoping this is the right choice, is it suitable for a 40/50 mile commute each way 4 days a week, how is servicing? How far between oil changes? And can I get good tyre life..
I hope so
Cheers
Mike
Old 13-01-14, 04:16 PM   #2
WARDY25

Default Re: SV commuting

i'm no expert, in fact far from it but i passed in November and have been doing 100+ miles on a weekend without any hassle on mine, cant fault it really
Old 13-01-14, 04:41 PM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV commuting

Well you've bought it now....

Service intervals are every 3500 miles or so after the first one. Fuel economy can be perfectly decent, I get something like 45-48mpg on my commute and that's pretty much all London, as soon as you get some momentum it'll get better than that assuming you ride with a little finesse.

Service costs are fairly average for the type, there's very little in the way of big nasty suprises, just altenating minor and major services. I'd invest in some kind of auto chain oiler such as the scottoiler. I would also have a look at a corrosion protector such as ACF50. There are other products for both the rolls above, but these ones have been tested over many years and found to work for the majority of people very well.

We live in happy times as far as tyres go. 10,000 miles from a pair of sports-touring tyres is not unachievable, pick ones you like the logo of, everyone has their own opinions, few of them based on riding with each tyre in a similar state of wear back to back.

Jambo
Old 13-01-14, 07:57 PM   #4
Nutsinatin

Default Re: Commuting on an SV?

I'm doing 50 miles a day, Surrey to Reading, averaging about 65mpg, I'll second the Scottoiler, really looks after the chain, so far just one minor adjustment after 10500 miles and it saves all the hassle of lubing and cleaning, just top it up every week or two. My preference is for Pilot Road 3's and so far I've got 10500 miles out of them, they're squaring off but should still see 12000.

With servicing you can do most of it yourself pretty easily, oil changes are every 3500 miles, but my oil always comes out looking pretty good, so 4000 should be pretty doable, get yourself another week or two out of it. Spark plugs are recommended every 7500 and valve clearances are every 15000.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-14, 08:36 PM   #5
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Commuting on an SV?

I've been doing 60 miles a day for the last nine years with the whole catalogue of things happening.
Your milage I would expect a minor service and a major service every year. You should be able to get almost 12,000 miles out of the front tire and 20,000 out of the back. I'm getting 60 miles to the gallon at the moment which is mainly motorway.

Do the minor service yourself.

The good thing about that sort of distance is that the engine always gets warm and the battery is always fully charged.

Last edited by Red ones; 13-01-14 at 08:38 PM.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-14, 09:36 PM   #6
cb1000rsteve

Simple answer is yes.
I added the comfort kit bars, a top box to pillion seat, heated grips (muffs in winter) fender extender (a must!!) which IMO made it perfect. Easily achieved 180 miles from a tank. A great bike for the commute.
Old 14-01-14, 07:09 AM   #7
Swin

done 25,000 (mostly) commuting miles on an sk4 now, have the usual suspects fitted, Top Box, Fender Extender, Scott Oiler & Lube Tube and I would recommend getting Goodrich Hoses fitted once the originals need replacing.

I use Avon Storm ST II Ultras, get about 14,000 from a rear, don't know how much from the front as it's still going strong after around 18,000 miles!

I do a 54 mile combination of fast A road/Motorway & London and average 52 mpg
Old 14-01-14, 07:07 PM   #8
aesmith

Another commuter here, 30 miles each way every day. I think it's great, fast enough without losing your licence. I get around 65-70 mpg, less in winter as with most vehicles. The full fairing provides more protection than you think looking at it.

Agree regarding Scottoiler and fender extender, I also need something for the back because the numberplate gets obliterated by mud as it is.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-14, 11:46 PM   #9
5hort5

Sorry, but I may be the only one to say there are better machines for it. I found my SV was a great bike but not for a slow 20 mile each way commute. I found the seat a bit of a pain, my wrists ached and I had a small back pain. But I'm getting old I chopped mine in for a CB500X for a better riding position for a slower ride. I love SV's, had three of em for fun but can't get on with it for the day in and day out. The X has an 8000 mile service interval and 60 odd mile to the gallon. Hats off for getting 60 to 70 out of an SV, that's impressive, I managed 45 to 50. Great bikes though, loads of fun.
5hort5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-14, 08:32 AM   #10
Mark-SV-UK

Ive now done 10,400 on my sv k9 I commute into london every day 50 miles a day round trip. ive replaced my front tyre at about 8,500 and doing my rear tyre next week. I get average of 165 miles to a tank of petrol. Have fender extender and topbox for rear seat fitted and ive done the minor service at 6k and due to do major service end of feb. Excellent commuter bike although the clip ons. Can be a lil uncomfortable after a while

Last edited by Mark-SV-UK; 22-01-14 at 08:34 AM.