SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-06-21, 06:16 AM   #9701
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

On a previous SV, I had a HiFlo Filtro oil filter go rusty too, I agree that the finish on the starter motor is fragile. I polish it in the summer and ACF50 in the winter (plus the Worlds Largest Mudflap™ helps).
I find that Chemical Guys "Tire and Trim Gel" works well as a general protecterant (is that a word?), although it's for rubber/vinyl, it seems to protect metal (not too surprising since I think it's oil based).

https://www.chemicalguysuk.co.uk/sho...-protect-16oz/

I use an old dish sponge to apply it and a little goes a long way. (I don't have any affiliation with Chemical Guys, but if they read this and want to bribe me, I'm open to spreading the word further )

Last edited by Seeker; 10-06-21 at 06:20 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 09:51 AM   #9702
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
See avatar. That is the oil filter on my September 2021 sv650 after about 4,000 miles. I have never had the paint finish flake off an oil filter like that before on any bike . The dealer and Suzuki don't want to know under the warranty , saying it is not a manufacturing fault and something has 'got at it', whatever that is supposed to mean. Obviously corrosion will occur if the paint flakes off to leave exposed bare metal. I know it will be changed at the next service but the starter motor finish is poor as well. I would say the paint finish is part of the manufacturing process ! Anyway, a different response and after sales service from Suzuki compared to Honda. The paint came off in places on the exhaust silencer box on my 2018 Honda CB650F and Honda replaced the whole exhaust system under the warranty!
It suffers due to the location being directly behind the front wheel - stone chips, road debris etc. And lets be honest it's only an oil filter, so long as its filtering oil and not leaking - is it really an issue?

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 10:39 AM   #9703
yokohama

Quote:
That is the oil filter on my September 2021 sv650after about 4,000 miles. I have never had the paint finish flake off an oil filter like that before on any bike .!
Maybe moving backwards through space and time into another dimension when you and the SV returned from the future did it. Oil filter paint burnt off during re-entry.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 03:28 PM   #9704
Chris_SVS

My employers: Couldn't organise a ****up in a brewery so I end up having shifts swapped around to suit the mono braincelled shirtfillers they employ.

4 on 1 off 4 on has turned into 3 on 6 on then they'll message me asking would I be able to cover my own booked and approved holidays.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 07:45 PM   #9705
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
That would have been my guess. It's an absolute joke isn't it 2015-2018 (+ ?) were bad years for logic boards. We had nearly 100% failure at work, great deal when they're double the cost of a similar less trendy laptop.

It was 6.5 years old, similar to the lifespan of my previous one. They did do data recovery from the old one onto a new one I've just bought (as long as I bought it from them) and set it up for me the same as the old one. I collected my new one this evening. I'm able to type and get back on here again.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 08:19 PM   #9706
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
It suffers due to the location being directly behind the front wheel - stone chips, road debris etc. And lets be honest it's only an oil filter, so long as its filtering oil and not leaking - is it really an issue?
But I have a plastic extension plus a rubber mudflap fitted to the front mudguard to give as much protection as possible . It is a bit of an issue if you happen to see a bike you fancy and ask the dealer to value your bike in part exchange and when they look at the front of the bike the first thing they comment on is the rust ! Plus ,Suzuki's unwillingness to just replace it under warranty and accept the paint finish should not flake off in big chunks like that.
But as you say, the main thing is if it is actually working.
But just compare this with Honda's after sales service replacing a full exhaust system without any quibble when paintwork came off the silencer box on my previous bike !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 08:21 PM   #9707
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
Maybe moving backwards through space and time into another dimension when you and the SV returned from the future did it. Oil filter paint burnt off during re-entry.
Hadn't thought of that. That could be the answer ! I thought I smelt burning.
Old 10-06-21, 08:25 PM   #9708
svenrico

Re oil filter - I realise I could just paint it but I thought with a brand new bike Suzuki might have been a bit more helpful.
Old 10-06-21, 10:39 PM   #9709
svenrico

Was hoping to go to road racing at Croft this weekend but all tickets have been allocated. I was (obviously wrongly) assuming I could just turn up and pay on the gate as I used to do before restrictions.
Old 11-06-21, 07:43 AM   #9710
CheGuevara

Quote:
Was hoping to go to road racing at Croft this weekend but all tickets have been allocated. I was (obviously wrongly) assuming I could just turn up and pay on the gate as I used to do before restrictions.

On my bucket list to do a track day there. My grandfather flew out of there on a Lancaster as part of the RCAF 434 squadron (there's a monument for them in Dalton-on-Tees just up the road). I've been twice -to show my Mom and my Aunt the site when they were visiting from Canada - both times had race events underway and we were able to just wander in and grab a bit of grassy bank and enjoy the racing. And imagine those massive bombers heading down the runway...

CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote