SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 03-05-07, 10:17 AM   #1
kev

Default Tyres for road (and a bit of track)

Hello all (my first post...)

Sorry but yet another Which Tyre? question.

I ride for fun, have a K6 650S which has the original Dunlop D220's on. I've just done my first, hopefully of many, trackdays and wondered what a good tyre for mainly road, and maybe several trackdays a year, would be? I don't think the D220's will stand many more trackdays.... . Not with my hamfistedness anyway.

Reading previous posts, it seems the Metz Z6 Roadtec is the one to go for, or maybe Pirelli Diablo's, but no-one mentioned doing trackdays with these tyres. I'm doing about 3000-3500 miles a year. Any comments or words of wisdom?

Cheers.
Kev.
Old 03-05-07, 10:22 AM   #2
weazelz

Default Re: Tyres for road (and a bit of track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Hello all (my first post...)

Sorry but yet another Which Tyre? question.

I ride for fun, have a K6 650S which has the original Dunlop D220's on. I've just done my first, hopefully of many, trackdays and wondered what a good tyre for mainly road, and maybe several trackdays a year, would be? I don't think the D220's will stand many more trackdays.... . Not with my hamfistedness anyway.

Reading previous posts, it seems the Metz Z6 Roadtec is the one to go for, or maybe Pirelli Diablo's, but no-one mentioned doing trackdays with these tyres. I'm doing about 3000-3500 miles a year. Any comments or words of wisdom?

Cheers.
Kev.
diablo's are reckoned to be good sporty-road tyre, amply good for trackdays

diablo strada's/roadtec's are good roady-sport tyres, but still up for some knee-down action though
Old 03-05-07, 10:32 AM   #3
kev

Thanks. That was a quick reply! I think I see what you're saying - more track stuff = diablo's, more road = strada's/roadtec. I'm only planning a handful of trackdays a year so maybe the strada/roadtec option will be better initially...
Old 03-05-07, 11:29 AM   #4
Tim in Belgium

I've got the Pirelli Diablo Stradas fitted and did 4 trackdays last year and a big hoon round the alps, found them great on track, very progressive at the edge of traction, and got a fair mileage out of them too so could be what your looking for.

The new Michelins sound good too (have a look at some other posts in this section) but still to hear any track feed back on them yet. Oh and welcome to the site.
Old 03-05-07, 05:04 PM   #5
Balky001
Mega Poster

another vote here for Diablos!
Old 03-05-07, 09:53 PM   #6
kev

Ta muchly chaps. Tim, your mix of riding is what I'll be doing so it sounds like the Stradas will do nicely....I'll let you know. ps welcome back to the UK!