SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-09-12, 04:18 PM   #2551
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Col du Glandon today just below the snow line, but quite a good days riding.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 10:05 PM   #2552
El Saxo

Wow, plenty of reading in this thread since I've not been on the forum in ages!

Does anyone on here do any time trials? I'm thinking of joining one of the local CTT-affiliated clubs and having a go at a few TT events next year so that I have some motivation to keep training through winter. I don't have a turbo yet so all my training has to be out on the road...
If anyone has any recommendation for winter gear I'd be interested too - so far I have some bib tights and some gloves but that's about it.
Old 14-09-12, 09:41 AM   #2553
EssexDave

Saxo - I use http://www.wiggle.com/dhb-pace-rouba...ded-bib-tight/ through the winter with the Aldi/Lidl winter tops and you can wear that quite comfortably down to about 5 degrees.

If you're still cold, then a winter jacket (from aldi/lidl) and a skull cap (something real thin - aldi did a runner's skull cap a while back for about £3) is ideal.Then it's just winter gloves. I have some decent gloves that are good to about 4-5 degrees, under that I use my alpinestars motorbike winter gloves
Old 14-09-12, 10:40 AM   #2554
Dipper

.... also Lidl/Aldi overshoes, when it get really cold I use Ski Mitts http://www.surfanic.co.uk/PRD_Produc...-Mittens-Black they're good down to about -10, watch out for ice though!
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-12, 05:32 PM   #2555
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo View Post
If anyone has any recommendation for winter gear I'd be interested too - so far I have some bib tights and some gloves but that's about it.
DHB Roubaix stuff from wiggle as suggested. Toasty warm and reasonable priced and comfortable to.

You'll probably want some over shoes and something like Woolie Boolie socks. The trick I found is just like on the motorbike to layer up. Several thin layers work better than one thick one.

Best winter gear I can really recommend though is a set of full mudguards if your bike has clearance and eye lets for them. If not a set of Crud Road Racer 2's will do an adequate job. Keep the spray and water off you and just as importantly off your bike.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-12, 07:06 PM   #2556
El Saxo

Cheers guys, have got some Dhb bib shorts that am happy with so will try their roubaix stuff.
Fizz - have got some of the Crud guards already, my brakes don't leave enough clearance for proper guards. The Crud ones are a bit rattley and a b**** to fit though!

Got my eye on an Altura waterproof jacket, but could do with a decent jersey too for those 'cold but dry' days cos in waterproof jackets I end up like a boil-in-the-bag dinner!
Old 14-09-12, 08:46 PM   #2557
Dipper

The Aldi/Lidl jerseys and Jackets are excellent, I've not found the dhb ones as warm/comfortable and twice the price. I've never bothered with waterproof stuff as I've always ended up just as wet "from within" as without one, as Fizz says layers are best.

Last edited by Dipper; 14-09-12 at 08:48 PM.
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-12, 07:30 PM   #2558
maviczap
Mega Poster

I'm tired & my legs still ache
Old 17-09-12, 07:33 AM   #2559
maviczap
Mega Poster

+1 to the DHB & Aldi & Lidl stuff.

DHB Roubaix tights are warm and toasty, and my Aldi jacket is also warm to. I have a Decathlon fleece MTB top which is very very good, its got a windpproof front and is the best of all my winter tops. I got it in the sale too.

I descended from the top of the Col du Glandon in my Aldi gloves and my hands were fine, and I picked up another pair the last time they were on sale

Good news is, that Aldi will have their winter stuff on sale soon, should be in the next few weeks

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...?WT.z_src=main
Old 17-09-12, 07:37 AM   #2560
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Did a 50 miler over the weekend 15.7mph average and 3 hrs 11 time. Quite pleased with that.

Then when to watch Ironman Wales yesterday, very inspiring !

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote