SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-02-08, 01:03 PM   #21
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Default Re: Braided hoses - Goodridge or Hel?

I ordered a HEL set for my Thou - when it arrived not a single line was the correct length & not a single fitting was the correct shape / angle etc.

If you have a suitable accessories shop near you then I would suggest that you take your OE lines in & ask them to make up a new set using whatever fittings / lines you like.

Obviously before you remove the lines from your bike phone the shop & make sure they've got what you need in stock !!
Old 04-02-08, 01:07 PM   #22
SV-net

+1 on this to call em first.

I can make to measure but some of the stainless fittings will need ordering in so could take a couple of days.

PM if you need a quote.
Old 05-02-08, 08:06 AM   #23
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-net View Post
In this picture aboove you say that you can turn the fitting then its not good. They should not turn in the crimp collar after it has been swaged on the machine.

If anybody wants special hoses to any length and any ends PM me I can make with re-useable zinc ends or full swaged stainless ends.
That's interesting. On my lines none of the fittings lined up so I called the supplier and he said to turn them. This took out all the tension and twist. Have not noticed any fluid leaking from the joints.
Old 05-02-08, 08:26 AM   #24
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
+1

Whilst it's true that a braided line is a braided line, the Goodridge stuff just seems to fit better more often, guess which one I always buy?
+2

If I was to buy braided again, I would go for Goodridge. My HEL lines were too long. On a plus side, HEL do offer to shorten them to your requirements, free-of-charge, but it's a real pain once you have already drained and removed the old lines and attached the new ones. You can measure them before fitting, but they didn't seem that long until I got them onto the bike.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 11:10 AM   #25
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
+2

If I was to buy braided again, I would go for Goodridge. My HEL lines were too long. On a plus side, HEL do offer to shorten them to your requirements, free-of-charge, but it's a real pain once you have already drained and removed the old lines and attached the new ones. You can measure them before fitting, but they didn't seem that long until I got them onto the bike.
I've never done this so it's just a suggestion that might allow anyone to measure accurately for new lines. Take a length of the springy plastic coated stuff that you (or the missus/mum) hang curtain nets from and use it to follow the intended paths of your new hoses. Clamp it to one end first, brake or caliper, tie it to the original hose at intervals, and mark off where where it should end at the other. Then you should have the correct length to order.

Would that work?
Old 05-02-08, 02:34 PM   #26
Tim in Belgium

Goodridge it is then, but with SS fittings.
Old 05-02-08, 06:01 PM   #27
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-net View Post
They should not turn in the crimp collar after it has been swaged on the machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
That's interesting. On my lines none of the fittings lined up so I called the supplier and he said to turn them. This took out all the tension and twist. Have not noticed any fluid leaking from the joints.
Pete's right, you can turn them!
Old 06-02-08, 05:16 PM   #28
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robw#70 View Post
I dont like the HEL lines, their specs are always wrong, either way to long or only just enough.
Yep, exactly. It seems like they've decided at some point that they'd sooner be too long than too short. Even when I custom ordered one with an exact length it came in 3 inches too long, just like every other HEL line I've ever used. They did sort it quickly though with both of my sets, very pleased with the response if not the mistake.

OTOH, Goodridge sets have a bit of a habit of providing the wrong banjo bolts, both the sets I've fitted were like this and I'm not alone there.

How about BSR/Aerotek or Earls?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 06:05 PM   #29
Tim in Belgium

It's hard enough choosing between two brands, don't complicate the issue for me Northy.
Old 06-02-08, 06:21 PM   #30
ninja bobw

I have used Earls and HEL in the past without any probs with SS ends as I read elsewhere that the zinc ones are mot failures on bikes.