SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-06-16, 07:27 PM   #91
Geodude
Mega Poster

Default Re: SVBMX Build Thread

Nice, i like it

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-16, 11:36 PM   #92
Bibio
Mega Poster

looking good
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-16, 06:52 AM   #93
svbmx

Not much of an update...

Went out locally to attempt to get better photos of the bike. They aren't too bad. Good locations nearby are hard to come by, really need to travel a little further, perhaps hit the coast road and see what i can find.

I'm currently on the hunt for a bandit 1200 rear wheel to run the 180 tyre. I'm told that there's a sprocket carrier from another wheel (the old man knows which!) that fits, which is already a reduced depth so little machining is required. Then its just making some axle adapters/spacers, and acquiring a new sprocket.

This will be happening as soon as the weather starts to turn! Can't be having the bike off the road whilst the weathers so nice at the mo
Old 16-09-16, 04:36 AM   #94
Runako

Looking great, really nice colour and subtle mods.

Why do you need another rear wheel? I'd say get some good tyres on that bad boy and find the edges. The 180 will give you some extra options for sure but is this for cosmetics or performance/practicality?
Old 16-09-16, 08:27 AM   #95
Highlandsv650

You can use 5.5inch GSXR wheels, just need to change the bearing sizes, new bearing centre spacer (steel tube), bit of machining of the caliper carrier and then spacers to get your chain alignment spot on. There's probably heaps of different ways to do it but gixxer wheels may be more readily available than bandit ones?
Old 16-09-16, 09:15 AM   #96
tom_e

Looks good, one thing that would really annoy me on such a nice bike though is the state of the adjuster and nut on the rear needs to be clean and shiny on such a tidy bike.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 12:22 PM   #97
svbmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runako View Post
Looking great, really nice colour and subtle mods.

Why do you need another rear wheel? I'd say get some good tyres on that bad boy and find the edges. The 180 will give you some extra options for sure but is this for cosmetics or performance/practicality?
Mainly cosmetics. I know some people wont like it and will say it wont turn in as well etc. But to me, i feel like the rear wheel needs to be wider to suit the style of the tail. The 180 cant be too bad considering its used on the majority of modern sports bikes. And im happy to play with different tyre profiles, shock setups etc to get it riding right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlandsv650 View Post
You can use 5.5inch GSXR wheels, just need to change the bearing sizes, new bearing centre spacer (steel tube), bit of machining of the caliper carrier and then spacers to get your chain alignment spot on. There's probably heaps of different ways to do it but gixxer wheels may be more readily available than bandit ones?
Yeah im aware the gsxr wheel works too but im led to believe the bandit wheel still requires less work. There seems to be a few on ebay at the mo so shouldnt be too difficult to get my hands on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_e View Post
Looks good, one thing that would really annoy me on such a nice bike though is the state of the adjuster and nut on the rear needs to be clean and shiny on such a tidy bike.
Yeah theres actually loads of scrappy bits about the bike that need sorting. The plan is to fully strip the bike down this winter.. have the frame, swingarm and engine fully stripped and repainted with all fresh nuts/bolt etc.
Old 17-09-16, 12:55 PM   #98
nathcarr

Default Re: SVBMX Build Thread (99 SV650)

Oh my word!! Just read the whole thread, this is amazing your attention detail is ace!! You see a lot of projects that have been kind of thrown together if you like but not this. Awesome job man and great choice on the colour I love it!!

Was the s-rad front end easy enough to fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17-09-16, 03:15 PM   #99
Bibio
Mega Poster

how about turning the seat cowl upside down and a bit of fibre work, just adds a bit of colour.. excuse the photo work as i'm pants at it but you get the idea.

curvypan.jpg
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-16, 03:01 PM   #100
svbmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathcarr View Post
Oh my word!! Just read the whole thread, this is amazing your attention detail is ace!! You see a lot of projects that have been kind of thrown together if you like but not this. Awesome job man and great choice on the colour I love it!!

Was the s-rad front end easy enough to fit
Thanks, appreciated Yeah front end was pretty straight forward. Grinding away at the headstock to retain the steering lock was probably the most hassle but with a good dremel bit it was relatively easy work. The rest was just a case of bolting it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
how about turning the seat cowl upside down and a bit of fibre work, just adds a bit of colour.. excuse the photo work as i'm pants at it but you get the idea.

Attachment 16072
That's a good idea to use a cowl as a starting point for a belly pan kinda thing, but I unless the bike has a full fairing I believe all colour should stay on the upper half of a bike (with exception of the front mud guard). Personal preference of course. Never been a fan of belly pans anyway.

Ive considered this kinda thing...

Perhaps incorporated into the exhaust. I've measured up and done a few cad drawings but no further than that yet. Also depends if I'm gonna work around the stock exhaust or make a new front section to work with.. whatever you might call it!!

Last edited by svbmx; 18-09-16 at 03:03 PM.
svbmx is offline   Reply With Quote