SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-02-17, 07:31 AM   #71
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Project: 500GP

I would say spacer missing too.

I'm interested to see how you've done the forks

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 10:02 PM   #72
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

The spacer is in the swing arm that's for sure. The bearings are also fully down on their seat in the arm. Even if the spacer wasn't in there it shouldn't change how those bearings are sitting. Which makes me think that maybe the width of the arm and bearings are to much, but only just. I suppose all I can do is take them out again and measure, then replace them again. The worry would be if they as I suspect will be the same. So assuming that I wonder what my options would be?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 07:56 AM   #73
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Check them without striping them out and add a small shim and see what happens.
I'm thinking over torqued and pinched

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
Old 11-02-17, 10:25 PM   #74
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

So the latest update is back with the rear shock as things are a little out of sequence as I didn't actually notice the bearing issue until I was fixing the the movement in the shock. Finding the time to do things on the bike and then write it up hasn't been easy recently, work mainly getting in the way. But anyway, enough of that, bikes are more interesting.

To solve the movement issue the most elegant solution was to get a new spacer. Trouble is you can't really get this in the local bike shop so I had to go to Rolling Art Motorcycles to make me a pair. In the photo the two new ones are on the left the original on the right. The difference between them? 1.1mm.

With the rose joint greased up again and with orings on the new spacers to keep the grease in the assembly slipped nicely into the fork on the swing arm leaving no play whatsoever, perfect machining.

And on the subject of machining they also sorted the top yoke for me. The hole was bored out so it appeared to be an original weight saving design. But as that would completely mess the lettering up that was then milled off for me. Its a bit shiny compared to the rest as I suspect it is an anodised finish, so I could get it anodised or I could go for the other option...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 12-02-17, 12:19 AM   #75
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Cast your minds back to the disassembly of the bike and the forks in particular. Time to show off the solution to the fork bolt problem. Just a quick recap, the bolts had previously been removed with the wrong size socket, my impact gun made more of a mess of one when the socket didn't seat properly, and one ended up stripping the thread inside of the fork stanchion. Finally Yamaha no longer have the bolt available. Thankfully I bought a spare set of forks, but not for that reason as when I bought them I hadn't yet discovered the problems I encountered.

So why buy them then? Simple I happened to notice in the picture of the eBay listing something that didn't look quite right to me and there wasn't anything about them in the listing, but the fork caps didn't look standard, so I took a gamble and got them shipped over from America.

The bolts were machined and looked to have some sort of valve in them. Reminded me of my old NC23. I took them down to MH Racing when I dropped the shock off to be rebuilt. I was told that they are air valves used to pressurise the forks, they were a bit of a thing back in the late '80's or so. But one of the valves appeared to be missing and there appeared to be some sort of balance pipe also missing hence the black bits on the caps.

I think that at some point the valve or cap in one of the legs failed and was modified hence why one has a higher valve cover. My idea was to replace the valve internals and get new caps. The first problem was what on earth the valves were, then where to get replacements.

It turns out these are Schrader valves and I bought replacements from the bicycle section of my local Halfords. I don't believe there is any real difference in the colours of them or the length effecting performance, the originals are green the replacements are black. Only time will tell.

The final problem was solved by Rolling Art Motorcycles who made me replacement caps without the balance take off or the extra cap. They even took the time to cut further into the cap and not to thread it all the way down so I could put an oring in there like in the original.

So now it was just a case of building the forks. New seals from All Balls, new clips and washers from Yamaha with new orings, lubed up and put together. The only thing missing is the right fork spring as I have yet to decide on that solution.

With both forks assembled and the caps on it was time to add a fork brace from Trac Tech, final positioning will be done once the forks are in the frame and filled with oil once I have the spring solution, dust seals will also go on don't worry.

Oh and I'm open to suggestions on what pressure to put into the forks...

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 12-02-17, 12:25 AM   #76
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

And I almost forgot, those fork caps, if anyone knows anymore about them I'd be interested to know. I think they might have been made by a company called Daytona as this is the closest match I've seen in photos but can't be sure. Any information appreciated.

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 18-02-17, 11:44 PM   #77
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

With this update we are still on the forks. TCR kindly got back to me with answers to my questions about the fork spring kit. In short the difference is spacer length isn't considered an issue as there can be some variation in the length of the springs and the spacers. The fork oil difference is due to the original spring seat having a different diameter and thus volume to the new spring seat spacer. And the upper spring seat isn't needed but can be used to make the front end firmer as it acts as preload but will be needed on both forks if wanted.

So my plan is to fill the forks with oil to the same air gap in both forks as per the Yamaha manual (146mm, fork compressed, no spring). I am yet to make a decision on the upper spring seat, but for the lower new spring seat, according to my calculations its short by 7mm. So its time I make my own...

Thanks to Wyrdness suggesting looking for my local hackspace, I found Swindon Makerspace and joined up.

Materials 4 Me provided me with some suitably sized 6082 T6 Aluminium bar.

That I then passed through the lathe and milling machine.

To produce my own custom length spring seat.

And as you can see in the photo it is slightly longer than my TCR spring seat and so matches perfectly the height of the spring seat in the left fork.

Now this is only the first thing I've ever made on the lathe and while its functional its not perfect. The finish on the surface is not smooth, I think if I were to place a needle and amplifier on it I'll hear a nice recipe for lentil soup. I've had a little play with speeds and used a new tool but not really found any improvement. I could use some sand paper on it but I'd like to get it right on the lathe so I'm open to suggestions?

I will add that yes I know its a Chinese machine so by definition isn't going to be considered the best. I'm still getting used to it, I'm not convinced of the scales on the dials, and there is some slack in the x and notches in the y, but its better than having nothing at all. I am learning as I go, the first and most important lesson is that after cutting a fresh part off of the bar stock don't pick it up straight away as it will be very hot. I'm currently missing the finger prints on my thumb and forefinger.

And now I have use of a lathe and milling machine, the possibilities are endless. For example that is an aluminium left hand side rear wheel spacer that I made which is a dramatic 29g lighter than the Yamaha original part...

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 19-02-17, 09:10 AM   #78
BigFootIsBlurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post

And now I have use of a lathe and milling machine, the possibilities are endless. For example that is an aluminium left hand side rear wheel spacer that I made which is a dramatic 29g lighter than the Yamaha original part...
This thing is going to fly!

2000 curvy, yellow and naked. Gone but not forgotten.
BigFootIsBlurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-17, 01:57 PM   #79
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

If it didn't have SH on it it would float away stock

Old 13-03-17, 07:39 AM   #80
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Sh, you got any more done?

Or did you make another bet on completing it and failed?