SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-07-06, 08:47 PM   #1
flynn209

Default a few questions....well 5 questions....from a newb

Greetings, have a few questions I知 hoping someone can help me out with. My bike is a 2000 sv650s, first bike so be gentle. I知 sure you all will rofl at some of these

1) My speedo lights up...is the tach supposed to?
2) My assumption that there is something in the bike to stop you from going over 10,5k rpm, was wrong...how bad is it to hit 11k (well maybe 11,5k)
3) What痴 the best way to repair a small (2in) crack on the plastic body work?
4) I知 looking for a tail tidy, that I can use the original signals with, without having to hack to much at the undertail...any suggestions where I can buy one? I've seen the DIY versions, but I知 not much for DIY (seeing as I知 a mechanical-idiot)
5) Any hope to remove the bars that are meant for saddle-bags??? I'm heavy enough as it is (well they are rusted actually, and look horrible).

Well good folks of sv650.org....I did the question part so I'll let you do the answer thingy
Old 10-07-06, 08:57 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I'll answer a few of those for you.

1. Yes the tach is supposed to light up, I would suspect you have a bulb blown in your dash.

2. Yep you should have a rev limiter in there somewhere. I'm not sure where it comes in though. Somewhere around the 10500 to 11000rpm mark I would think. You'll know it when you hit the rev limiter.

4. If you can get one from ebay or somewhere try and get the original Suzuki OEM undertray. Looks really good and the colour match is spot on. It doesnt involve any cutting or faffing about, You can use your original indicators, but it will look better with some mini ones on there and also it keeps the space free under your pillion seat for storage space.

I'll leave the other questions as I'm not sure and I don't wanna give you dodgy advice.

HTH and welcome to the site.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-06, 09:03 PM   #3
haggis

Default Re: a few questions....well 5 questions....from a newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn209
Greetings, have a few questions I知 hoping someone can help me out with. My bike is a 2000 sv650s, first bike so be gentle. I知 sure you all will rofl at some of these

1) My speedo lights up...is the tach supposed to? There are some plug in bulbs in the rear of the instrument cluster.
2) My assumption that there is something in the bike to stop you from going over 10,5k rpm, was wrong...how bad is it to hit 11k (well maybe 11,5k) A brief stray into the redline once by mistake should be ok, don't worry. Doing it often is ill advised to say the least.
3) What痴 the best way to repair a small (2in) crack on the plastic body work? There are plastic repair kits in the market, however painting afterwards is not cheap, might be better to suffer the crack.
4) I知 looking for a tail tidy, that I can use the original signals with, without having to hack to much at the undertail...any suggestions where I can buy one? I've seen the DIY versions, but I知 not much for DIY (seeing as I知 a mechanical-idiot) Someone else would know about these, be along in a while I'm sure.
5) Any hope to remove the bars that are meant for saddle-bags??? I'm heavy enough as it is (well they are rusted actually, and look horrible). They're welded to the seat sub-frame. How's you angle grinding skills?

Well good folks of sv650.org....I did the question part so I'll let you do the answer thingy
Four outta five. :P
Old 10-07-06, 09:05 PM   #4
haggis

Darn! Beaten by the Fizz-meister.
Old 10-07-06, 09:06 PM   #5
BILLY

3. you can get a plastic weld kit to repare your fairing very easy to use too!!!
Old 10-07-06, 09:44 PM   #6
flynn209

Err, is this the type I'm looking for? The crack is out of view so I'm not worried about colour difference, I just dont want it to get worse.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PLASTIC-REPAIR-PA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-07-06, 10:02 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

I just weld cracks back together with a 35W soldering iron- for "rods", you can just find another bit of broken fairing- easy to find. You could buy an iron and a broken panel for under a tenner, and it'll do the job nicely.

The TCP Aerodynamics undertray, also sold as the oficial Suzuki one, is a perfect fit, no cutting or modifying at all, just remove one and bolt in the other- ot can retain stock indicators no problem. Also comes colourmatched. They're a little fragile, the plastic is rigid and so can crack under an impact (ie, you go over a speedbump too fast with a big chain under the seat!)
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-06, 10:18 PM   #8
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

point:

if u remove the bungee bars.. wont you have 4 ugly holes onthe frame... 2 each side??.. coe they hollow aint they
Old 10-07-06, 10:26 PM   #9
UlsterSV

I took those bars off the subframe with the angle grinder then fitted a new undertray. The undertray did have gaps for them but taking them off really tidies the rear end up. You can't see anything of the bars at all. Can't imagine what it would look like if you took the bars off and didn't have an undertray fitted. Can't remember what the bike looked like as standard
Old 10-07-06, 10:26 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Hmm, dunno. They are, but the frame they're welded to probably isn't.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote