SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-10-15, 11:56 PM   #1
thulfi

Default Night driving glasses

Thought I would ask the all knowing org before I dive into a purchase.

My commute to work (by car) is almost a 100 mile round trip each day, mostly motorway driving with heavy traffic. I'm starting to find that I could do without all the bright red lights/brakelights from the many cars in front during the night part of the commute, which soon will be both to and from work. I try and get as much sleep as possible during the weekdays, but with my 13 hour shifts and a guy who needs at least 10 hours sleep a day, I am sometimes sleep deprived, especially when it accumulates by the end of the week and all the lights in front when driving do not help.

I've been looking at some night glasses on amazon and they seem to have mostly positive reviews. Their seems to be consensus that they increase clarity, cut glare, etc.

Does anybody use and own a pair? Any suggestions which ones to go for?
At the moment, this seems like the best bet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duco-Night-v...ing+sunglasses

Cheers

Last edited by thulfi; 29-10-15 at 11:57 PM.
Old 30-10-15, 07:28 AM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Night driving glasses

Yellow tint lenses do well in cutting down the glare from lights. Used to wear them when working in a huge indoor workshop lit by florescent lights.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-15, 09:33 AM   #3
SIII
Mega Poster

Talking Re: Night driving glasses

I have a amber visor for my Arai, got it cheap when the importers went bang. It really does make a difference in low light level situations. Grey days appear bright and colours are altered but the difference is increased and so I find it easier to see. I also have a pair of safety specs I use for working on the car, etc and look very similar to the one's in your link, again they make grey days appear brighter and clearer than they actually are. Was wearing them jet washing the drive, believing I had lucked out and the sun had come out, took them off for a break and it was a grey horrible day still. Always carry my amber visor on the bike.

I find it helps during dull grey days / late in the day, but at night it doesn't make much difference and maybe cuts light out a bit. Not sure it that is what you want to hear, but lower light levels they work for me, but not at night.
Old 31-10-15, 09:07 AM   #4
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I need prescription glasses for driving and have an anti-glare coating on them which helps me quite a lot. Ask at your opticians as they may have a better selection on plain lenses. You can also try out lots of frames to get something really comfortable which is very important - uncomfy specs will irritate and may distract you more than the glare.
Old 31-10-15, 08:24 PM   #5
thulfi

Thanks guys. I didnt think about popping down to my opticians. I think I'll do that tomorrow, cheers.
Old 01-11-15, 04:21 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

i wear the yellow lenses at night whenever i remember them and they make a big difference for me.
Mine came with my cheap sunglasses, dark lenses, yellow and clear
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote