SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-06-16, 09:16 AM   #411
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Top Gear is back

Like a mug I gave it another go, well the second half... should have carried on channel hopping.
Before these programmes were broadcast I didn't have an issue with either Evans or LeBlanc.
However putting them both together....No No No No No No No No No NO.
Old 06-06-16, 09:26 AM   #412
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Thought I'd give it another chance last night, just as poor ad the first episode, even having 6 people in 3 off readers doing silly things wasn't very amusing or interesting and Evans just ruins it for me, each time the camera is on him but he's not the centre of attention he either looks totally disinterested or trying to remember his next cue / line but not in the moment at all.
His attempt at banter is so cheesy radio presenter too, he talks at people instead of engaging with them.

RIP top gear 😣

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 10:13 AM   #413
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Opening introduction this week,
Chris Evans: in this episode, I get more shouty!

Well if that wasn't enough to turn off the already cringing nation.....

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 10:21 AM   #414
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Watched the second episode last night just to see if it would get any better. Sadly it was even worse. It's turned into a celebrity circle jerk.
I can't recall any actual car information about the 3 "off roaders" being discussed and the McLaren review was just "WOAH THIS IS SO FAST! LOOK HERE'S JENSON BUTTON, HE'S AMAZING, THIS CAR IS AMAZING, I'M AMAZING, YEAH SUPER COOL, WHOOOOOO!!!"
I noticed that too - all I know about the new F-Pace is that it has a V6 diesel and a reversing camera and that Seasick Steve says it makes him feel "fancy"...! Quality review there...
Old 06-06-16, 10:54 AM   #415
rowdy

At least with Clarkson, Hammond and May, if you liked them or not, they would relay what the cars excelled at, or were particularly crap at, and how the cars made them feel. Then in the studio they would have a debate or vote on which car they thought was the best out of the three they happened to be driving, whether it was a Ferrari or an old fiat barchetta, they would have the same enthusiasm or contempt for all vehicles they were in.

So far, this incarnation has completely missed the boat on that. As said, aside from knowing what engines they had, it only appeared to be seasick that gave any clue about how the car made him feel.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.

Last edited by rowdy; 06-06-16 at 10:56 AM.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 03:48 PM   #416
pookie

I dont think Evans nor Le blanc know their Focus from their Golfs nor have any connection to the viewers.
Its a V blah with a x litre engine that goes quickly ..look wheeee. Now everyone who do you prefer.. whayayeee.
Neither chat show, quiz show or factual programming. It has that feeling of a childrens program hosted by an entertainer at holiday camp to a crowd from a working mens club. It needs presenters that know real cars and not just showing off their ability to buy them at the license payers expense
Pretty dire and a waste of a show. Is that a bit harsh?
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future

Last edited by pookie; 06-06-16 at 03:50 PM.
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 04:47 PM   #417
rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
I dont think Evans nor Le blanc know their Focus from their Golfs nor have any connection to the viewers.
Its a V blah with a x litre engine that goes quickly ..look wheeee. Now everyone who do you prefer.. whayayeee.
Neither chat show, quiz show or factual programming. It has that feeling of a childrens program hosted by an entertainer at holiday camp to a crowd from a working mens club. It needs presenters that know real cars and not just showing off their ability to buy them at the license payers expense
Pretty dire and a waste of a show. Is that a bit harsh?
Before I read the article I posted earlier in the thread, I would have said yes, perhaps a little bit harsh. After all, Evans is only trying to keep what some might say is a national, international even, treasure alive.

But when Evans goes on to attack his critics, and call them clueless and haters etc, then he lines himself up for all he gets IMO.

I think a lot of viewers are, or were, prepared to give it a chance. But it was always going to be a tough act to follow. The general consensus is that Matt is the better of the two. I'm inclined to agree, I think he gets a bit more of what the show is, or was about. His first solo piece last week had the feel of something that Hammond, and to a lesser extent May might create.

Unfortunately, Chris comes across as a less natural fit. Too shouty and too annoying. His introduction of the stig for example is hammed right up and embarrassing, and all he seems to do when testing a car is scream, shout or laugh, which anyone could replicate. I think the people he had a pop at, the clueless, are the people the programme is aimed at and therefore have actually more of a clue than his own biased view of his product. Just because he has a collection of Ferraris that look like they have come off a Miami Vice studio set, doesn't make him more qualified than the public that pay for and watch Top Gear to say if it's any good or not.

I think a fair analogy of the programme and Chris' comments and opinion would be akin to say, someone that makes and sells the Ford Focus. The prospective customer saying, "well, I had a Ferrari before, so this Focus . . . it just isn't as good, is it"
"But we sell more of these Focus' than Ferrari does, FACT" etc. . . .
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
Old 06-06-16, 05:14 PM   #418
L3nny
Mega Poster

Think you're spot on pookie. I know a lot of kids watch the show but while before it was appealing to all ages. It's now has the feel of a Saturday morning kids show.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-16, 06:21 PM   #419
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
I disliked it, I thought Evans was annoying, I thought LeBlanc was wooden in the studio links, the star in a reasonably priced car segment was cringeworthy. LeBlancs piece on the Ariel Nomad was only half decent film in the programme, seemed quite natural at actually testing a vehicle. Like most I was not overly impressed.

Then, I thought, what was Evans supposed to do with the show. He clearly loves Top Gear, and is only trying to do the best job that he can with it.
Then, I read this crap http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/even...-truck-is.html

Lost the plot springs to mind. Needless rant about 'haters', or, more specifically, his target audience. Needless pop at the previous presenters, none of whom have commented negatively about his version of the show. A delusional idea about the 'success' of the first show judging it from a viewing figure point of view, many of which would have watched out of curiosity, all nailed on to a p!ss poor car (truck) review that read like he got his child to write it with the help of a sales brochure.

I was one of the 6 million viewers, that watched because I was a fan of the show, that would either watch it or sky + it in the past. I will probably watch it tomorrow night cos the missus has gone to Spain. Other than that, on the strength of the first episode I will no longer be bothered if I miss it or not.

So, No Mr Evans, it is not a success.
What a load of crap! Of course they smashed the ratings, it was the first episode of a brand new show and everyone tuned in to see what it was like. It was amateurish at best, sounds like this week was no better from those who gave it a second chance, next weeks ratings will be much more telling, when everyone gives it up for dead.
Old 06-06-16, 06:33 PM   #420
rowdy

Parts of it were better, at least there was no pointless reliant Rialto type bullsh!t, and pointless (on the basis that Hammond had already done two brilliant features on the series one landie) ending.

The beginning was utter sh!t, with Evans being wheeled out on a hospital bed, as said very children's TV.
The 10million pound Mclaren F1 was of particular interest to me personally though, as my kids and I had been standing next to and admiring the very same car at goodwood yesterday morning. And Jensen was a welcome addition to the 675LT test as he gave some actual opinion about the car.