SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 11-04-11, 06:40 AM   #1
Stuuk1

Default Shoei's..

I have been looking but can't find one... Are they even available?!

I need a shoei lid with a flick down internal sun visor, my HJC has it and I can't warrant spending in excess of £350 for a lid that doesn't meet my requirements....

Thanks!
Old 11-04-11, 07:24 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Shoei's..

Nope... Tinted Pinlock is the best you will get.
Old 11-04-11, 07:50 AM   #3
Stuuk1

Oh man...I really want a shoei aswell! I don't fit arai's as my chin rests on the chin guard bit...
Old 11-04-11, 08:29 AM   #4
wyrdness

Take a look at Schuberth. They're expensive, but you might be able to find a good deal on one. I went from a Shoei Raid II to a Schuberth and it was a huge improvment. It was really comfortable and quiet and the internal sun visor was great. Unfortunately it got damaged when I came off the bike, so I'lm back with the Shoei for now.
Old 11-04-11, 08:34 AM   #5
Stuuk1

I'm also moving towards a lid with a lift up front (unsure of the correct name) do any of you have one? Any advantages?
Old 11-04-11, 10:37 AM   #6
WeegieBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuk1 View Post
I'm also moving towards a lid with a lift up front (unsure of the correct name) do any of you have one? Any advantages?
I had one of those and while it was ok for ambling round the town, get up to any speed and they were noisy as hell. Didn't like it one bit. I think I also read that the flip up bit is a weak point if you ever land chin first but I never got to test that theory, luckily.....
Old 11-04-11, 03:27 PM   #7
pookie

Great at petrol stations as you dont have to remove lid. Also when going into and out of work.

Downside is its a bit heavy. It is slightly noisier..more high pitched whistling and a bit draftier. I have the bmw system 4.

Schuberth have the c3 which claims to be the best of both worlds..it got slated by andrew dalton on his blog.

http://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbi...c3-lid-review/

Has integrated visor and is light. I've got my eye on the uvex gt500 with the variotronic lens

http://www.uvex-sports.de/en/motorsp...et-uvex-gt-500

But is a bit pricey and have yet to read any reviews or find anywhere that has it in.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 07:07 PM   #8
Stuuk1

Thanks for the info guys, my one big fear is the chin slide and never understood why people would buy a half face helmet, I did think there would be a weak point in the lift up lids with regards to chin protection...

I'll have a good read up on them and see what the score is.

Surely shoei are being abit silly in not having a flick down internal sun visor inside the helmets? Is it not as big a seller as I think? I wouldn't buy without now I don't think!
Old 11-04-11, 07:59 PM   #9
Amanda

Hiya, neither of the high end helmet makers, Arai and Shoei, will be making a helmet with an internal sun visor. Both companies have said it compromises the safety of the helmet. Ultimately they are race helmets available for road use, therefore no need for internal sun visors as racers use tints. Personally I don't think its an issue, I have a Shoei and an Arai as my personal feelings are that they are the best and safest helmet to wear. I use tinted visor on the Arai and currently a tinted pinlock insert on my Shoei, problem solved. If I think I'm gonna be out late then I swap them over for clear.
Old 11-04-11, 09:25 PM   #10
Vergey

Have a look at Scorpion helmets, i moved to one from a shoei, and loved the internal drop down visor, though you may want to get the darker option one they offer. The fit on them is great due to pump up cheek pads, the only problem is they are a little on the heavy side, and dont have pinlock, though they are saying their next years models will have pinlock. I have since gone back to shoei because the fit suits me marginally better, but the scorpion was a lovely lid, just a shame I had a little spill in it. Oh and they are one of the biggest manufacturers in the states and have a pretty good sharp rating over here

http://www.helmetsuperstore.co.uk/Sc...11_B2482I.aspx

Last edited by Vergey; 11-04-11 at 09:30 PM.