SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-04-09, 11:27 PM   #1
dirtsk8

Default You could still get yourself into bother

..on a curvey SV.

I bought mine last year, just when the rubbish weather was about to arrive, then it was winter and I refused to get her all mucky with road salt.

So, over this period of non-biking time I've kinda talked the old girl down. I keep thinking how my last bike could go faster in 3rd than my curvey can flat-out (with a tail wind) and that it's no more than a beginner's bike which people quickly get bored of and move onto bigger and better.

Well, that was until today. It was gorgeous here in the Borders and we went for a spin. pretty much as soon as the tires were warm, I swallowed back the ever-present complacency like a re-ocurring acid burp and redlined every gear. Against my better judgement (and control) my grin seemed to spread across my whole head. How could I have convinced myself that this was anything other than brilliant? My Viper can was roaring, my tires were getting the chicken strips scrubbed off and I was amazed at the very forgiving, but still very precise handling. Not bad for a 7 year old machine. Not half bad at all.

Even last month I had an abortive attempt at selling her. On these very pages, no less. I'm glad the guy changed his mind at the last minute and bought a Fazer (pfft!) I'm going to keep my SV. I'd like to make this post a public appology to my gorgeous little Curvey SV and reassure her that I'm in it for the long haul

LOL
Old 14-04-09, 12:56 AM   #2
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Re: You could still get yourself into bother

See also, sv1000s

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-09, 08:56 AM   #3
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Ha!! When I first started biking I never thought I would get anywhere near the red line on my curvy, it wasn't until I started riding with PetenLissa on their 996 regulary that I really needed to work hard to keep up.

Needless to say my Curvy spends more of its time in the upper reaches of its Rev range and it still feels really good. Although when you get into triple figures *private roads of course* it is a bit unstable but nothing too bad to make me close the throttle.

Having said that however I have bought a bigger, better, stronger, more bike but I will still keep the Curvy for a wee while.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-09, 06:10 PM   #4
dirtsk8

Just stuck in a 130 mile round trip to Fife and back (Cowdenbeath) in the fog and sealed completely, my born-again biking love. I haven't really been away, it was my enthusiasm that was AWOL. Up til I posted the original post, I had to talk myself into going for a run, now we're back and better than ever.

WIN.
Old 15-04-09, 06:22 PM   #5
fenjer

you're brave! that damn fog was the sole thing that kept me in today....
Old 15-04-09, 07:02 PM   #6
dirtsk8

I had pre-arranged business in Fife or I would have stayed in too, I reckon

I'm really glad I went out, though. I got to test my new jacket and trousers which passed with flying colours. Couldn't stop my visor misting, though in my new HJC lid. Even with a Foggy Mask on.

Great day apart from that.

Last edited by dirtsk8; 15-04-09 at 07:04 PM.
Old 15-04-09, 07:21 PM   #7
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
See also, sv1000s
lol!
Old 16-04-09, 12:57 PM   #8
dirtsk8

something else I notied today was that up til now I've been getting 120 - 125 miles on a tank, but the trip counter is sitting at 138 this morning and the llight hasn't come on yet. I'm sure it's not far away, but that's the most I've gotten so far.

Which is nice.