SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-02-11, 06:32 PM   #1
Amplimator

Default Alloy wheel refurb?

Anyone had any alloy wheels refurbed? The alloys on the focus have been cleaned with summit far too harsh by the prev owner that has taken off the laquer (sp?) so the wheels have started to bubble/rust a bit in places. Just wondering what it would cost roughly? Any good companies in the south-west area that the mighty org could recommend?

Or...could it be done by oneself? Any tips and tricks? No major 'kerbing' or anything just the bubbling inside the spokes.

I would like a nice new set of wheels (in white) but the missus wants the originals refurbed or new ones the same (which are a rip off from ford)

Any help or advice would be jubbly.

Cheers
Old 18-02-11, 07:09 PM   #2
Kilted Ginger

Default Re: Alloy wheel refurb?

not near you but, i just had 2 wheels refurbed from a local company, £60 a wheel. excellent job, look like new.
for 4 wheels your probably looking at £250, last time i checked you can get aftermarket ones with tyres starting about £350.
wait till you need tyres and get a new set, or do what the missus says.
Old 18-02-11, 07:35 PM   #3
SIII
Mega Poster

Was looking to refurb my alloys on the Discovery, was going to cost £250, found a brand new set of genuine LR alloys on Fleabay fro £200 delivered!!!

Just keep an eye on Ebay and you can find new un's for less then refurb
Old 18-02-11, 08:39 PM   #4
emcf

i just got the wheels of my car refurbed, £55 each. they were a moblie service based somewhere in surrey. darn good job they did too, got rid of all the kerbing and peeling lacquer that was inside the wheels. they now look like new (well, until i do the next ham-fisted attempt at parking).
Old 18-02-11, 10:26 PM   #5
Amplimator

Cool beans cheers for the advice. The missus has been doing a bit of google-fu and there is a local mobile service so will give the guy a call for some prices. If its not budgie i will just shell out for a new set with tyres when the current rubber gets low. Would be handy tho as the car wouldnt have to sit on bricks for a week or five whilst i send the wheels away.

Cheers
Old 19-02-11, 01:13 AM   #6
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplimator View Post
Would be handy tho as the car wouldnt have to sit on bricks for a week or five whilst i send the wheels away.

Cheers
Should only take a couple of days max for all 4 wheels to be refurbed. Obviously that will depend on the finish youre going for.

So you want some White wheels and the missus wants orignals refurbed. Why not get the originals refurbed but in whitei stead of the original silver? If you tie it in with needing new tyres they may fit them for free (not sure if the mobile guys can do that though
Old 19-02-11, 10:02 AM   #7
Amplimator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Should only take a couple of days max for all 4 wheels to be refurbed. Obviously that will depend on the finish youre going for.
Hopefully the mobile geezer can do it quicker, the places i was looking meant removing all four wheels and sending them to a far away land via courier. Not cheap and most likely slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
So you want some White wheels and the missus wants orignals refurbed. Why not get the originals refurbed but in whitei stead of the original silver?
I have to say the standard wheels would look very nice in white but for the refurb + paint/powder coating it would probably cost similar money to buying new wheels. Just a case of weighing up the costs, new wheels would still be easier though as the car gets used daily.

Also the hard part would be getting the missus to consider the compromise

Will be giving the mobile guy a call today.

Thanks again guys.
Old 21-02-11, 10:16 AM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

My mate had his on his M3 done by www.miracledetail.co.uk Cost him £100 a wheel but i am stunned as to how good them look. Make sure that whoever refrubs them, seals them and just doesn't paint them (Which is what some of the cheaper companies do...clan polish, paint. No lacquer.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote