SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-01-07, 10:23 PM   #1
ejohnh

Default 2003 K1! No mods Changed choke cable - lessons learned.

I had no choke. stripped down to take carb assembly off. Rear choke plunger seized and cable clamp screw phillips drive banjaxed. Had to get impact driver from Halfords to remove screw. Cable snapped when pulling plunger out of housing - corroded to hell! f*k!

Dec 27th Phoned local dealers for cable = average £23+ plus vat not in stock, couldn't order until after holiday period, probably get it Jan 4th - bloody depressed!

Searched net found a few pattern suppliers. Prices from £12 to £16 plus vat plus postage.

Wemoto £14 inc vat and postage! Ordered it. Got it today! Well surprised. Fitted it and put everything back together. Damn me, thing started OK!!

Tried to get some spare M5 bolts form local car accessory shop. Turned out to be 2BA - not good. Used metal saw to put cut for flat screwdriver in old plunger clamp screw.

All working phew!!

****es me off that dealers want to charge top dollar for stuff but don't want to carry it in stock. I won't be going to a dealer again.

Was going to get a carbtune balancer while I had the top off but I cant wait to get back on the road. Do the balancing later.

John
Old 04-01-07, 10:33 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

You can't really expect your local dealer to stock items that won't be in constant demand, though... Forgetting about the amount of capital they'd have tied up in parts, think of the storage and logistics...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 10:41 PM   #3
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
You can't really expect your local dealer to stock items that won't be in constant demand, though... Forgetting about the amount of capital they'd have tied up in parts, think of the storage and logistics...
For 140% mark up? Of course I can expect them to stock semi-consumables. Surely that is why the mark up is so high. When they get no business they will surely wonder why as well duh! One of each cheap item is not gonna tie up al that much anyway. I would willingly have paid a surcharge to get it when I wanted it. It wasn't always like this. This wemoto outfit have got it right though. I would defo support the local dealers if they supported me - but they don't.

JohnH
Old 04-01-07, 11:02 PM   #4
21QUEST
Mega Poster

John ,

Whats the bottom part(junction) where the cable splits into two like? The OE is very easy to crack and wondering if that section on the pattern one is made of less brittle plastic

Ben

ps: don't know how your dealer got £23 + VAT but OE cables(AFAIK) are about £18 including VAT
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 11:11 PM   #5
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST
John ,

Whats the bottom part(junction) where the cable splits into two like? The OE is very easy to crack and wondering if that section on the pattern one is made of less brittle plastic

Ben

ps: don't know how your dealer got £23 + VAT but OE cables(AFAIK) are about £18 including VAT
It's not my dealer Ben. I bought this bike off Ebay. Was a Suzuki place in Port Talbot. Tried Busters and PM but not cable stockers. Thunder road played me muzak until I kicked the cat and hung up. Junction assembly seems Ok Ben. But the original was ok there as well. Hey now you're taking the P*ss - you know I dont know wtf AFAIK means lol!

I dribbled acf50 into the cable hoping it was the right thing to do..

You should see the smirk on my face!! I put it back together and it started OK!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-07, 11:27 PM   #6
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh
It's not my dealer Ben. I bought this bike off Ebay. Was a Suzuki place in Port Talbot. Tried Busters and PM but not cable stockers. Thunder road played me muzak until I kicked the cat and hung up. Junction assembly seems Ok Ben. But the original was ok there as well. Hey now you're taking the P*ss - you know I dont know wtf AFAIK means lol!

You should see the smirk on my face!! I put it back together and it started OK!!!!!!!
Oh I see. Re Red highight. Who's that then .

Re Blue higlight. As far as I know .

The acf50 won't do any harm. Even if don't need to every so often slide the choke lever back and forth(ignition off). Helps with stoping the plungers welding themselves to the carb body if water manages to run in.

Can't find the pattern cable on the Wemoto sight though.

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
Old 04-01-07, 11:42 PM   #7
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh

Oh I see. Re Red highight. Who's that then .

Re Blue higlight. As far as I know .

The acf50 won't do any harm. Even if don't need to every so often slide the choke lever back and forth(ignition off). Helps with stoping the plungers welding themselves to the carb body if water manages to run in.

Can't find the pattern cable on the Wemoto sight though.

Ben
Yeah , I just had a squit at it. Just got the genuine Suzy part at 22.50 now.. mm
John
Old 05-01-07, 12:23 AM   #8
netsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Maybe not so much with slow moving parts, but if you read on here quite a few ppl seem to need to replace choke cables. It seems daft that also quite a few people mention that their local dealer dosent stock them. Maybe just because they are so popular they get sold out more often, but then again thats just poor stock management.

As for the extortionate prices, this is how the manufacturers make some of their development money back on cheap machines. Sell the bike cheap and charge a little extra for the spares. Notice the price of quite a few parts for the SV are more expensive than say some similar GSX-R parts, even though the GSX-R parts are of higher quality. - Just an example

Pete
Old 05-01-07, 12:32 AM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

My dealer doesnt ustock many parts to be honest, thats why i use Sparesdirect.co.uk.

A carbtune will not balance your carbs. For that you need a pair of gauges, which busters do do.

Ive had 3 chocke cables in 50000 miles on my sv.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 12:54 AM   #10
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
My dealer doesnt ustock many parts to be honest, thats why i use Sparesdirect.co.uk.

A carbtune will not balance your carbs. For that you need a pair of gauges, which busters do do.

Ive had 3 chocke cables in 50000 miles on my sv.
Viney, pretty sure he is refering to a Morgan Carbtune which is indeed used for carb balancing ect....but you knew that

Ben