SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-10-20, 01:47 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Pointy, first ride

My AL7 is in for its 30k service and my dealer (B&B Suzuki, Lincoln) offered me the choice of a Yamaha 600 Diversion, or a Pointy "S" loaner bike. Since I'd never ridden a pointy I thought I'd try it - I had ridden their Diversion before and it was a nice ride although the footpegs seemed a bit high.

I don't think the pointy was in the best of health, cosmetically it needed help with 2 tank dents and a lot of rust (exhaust header, hose clamps, screws etc). It was on a "61" plate and the odometer said 5400 miles approx. Someone had converted it to Renthal bars instead of the clip-ons style it would normally use.

On start up the engine was noisy, it rattled - cam chain tensioner? At 5400 miles? I began to suspect the odometer especially when looking at the cosmetics. The clutch was very heavy and since neither my curvy's nor my AL7 have a heavy clutch there must have been a fault with the cable, release mechanism or someone had fitted beefier springs.

Once underway and negotiating Lincoln's traffic, I found the steering peculiar - when you instigated a low speed turn it initially accepted the input and then seemed to change its mind making you run wide. At highway speeds it was fine. I live 40 miles from this dealership so I was getting used to the steering by the time I got home.

It was uncomfortable, I'm only 5'6'' but the pegs seemed far too high making my knees ache and the Renthal pushed me upright although my body was trying to lean forward. At rest I could flat foot easily so it seemed lower than my AL7.

I always wear earplugs so most bikes are quiet to me but this one was almost inaudible - much quieter than my AL7 (both on stock exhausts). I thought this weird since Euro4 requires a quiet bike - the AL7 has much more induction noise.

It vibrated on acceleration but cruised smoothly (throttle body balance?), I didn't take it over 5k because of the rattley engine but the pick up was good.

OK, I'm a wuss, but I felt vulnerable without a fuel gauge and lost without a gear indicator - I'd not realised how much I look at them when riding. I think there was a temp gauge but it was hidden by a cable. I used to think that gear indicators were unnecessary but my last 4 bikes have had them and now I look for them. Counting to 6? How quaint! - I've gotten soft.

I like to try other bikes but I'll be pleased to get my AL7 back.
Old 08-10-20, 03:52 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointy, first ride

I'd be interested to know if your AL7 needed any valve clearances adjusting. Mine were all good at 15K miles - all inlet valves were bang in the middle, and all the exhaust valves were at the low end of the range (0.08mm to 0.085mm) but on the spec is in the spec.

Handling-wise, there is a fair difference between pointy S geometry and the Gen 3. The Gen 3 is much more nimble. The pointy S does understeer and push the front a little at town speeds, the front tyre on my standard K6S used to wear out first on the side of the tread, while the centre was not even down to the tread wear indicator.

Engine-wise the AL7 motor is smoother and a bit more punchy, no question.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 05:22 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointy, first ride

I think they gave you a rotter. My clutch is very light, steering - not sure but I could never get on with stock suspension.
Knee pain - heck yes