SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-10-11, 08:31 PM   #1
Ed

Default Living wills

Has anyone made one?

There was a case on Radio 4 the other day - a woman in her late 40s(referred to as just 'M') had suffered a massive stroke some years before, she was in a 'minimal arousal state' - not a coma or persistent vegatative state, but with no quality of life. Her family wanted the High Court to agree that the docs could stop medical care - they said that M had always said that if she was in that situation, she would want to die. The judge refused, partly because M hadn't put her wishes in writing.

As for me, I would hate to be trapped like that. If I was in a PVS or in a minimal arousal state with little or no hope of recovery, I'd want the docs to stop all care, and I'd want to slip away. I wouldn't want to be a burden on anyone.

I've drafted loads of wills for people before, but never a 'living will'. So I'm going to have a go.
Old 02-10-11, 08:38 PM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Living wills

I just have a normal will, I hadn't thought about this situation.
Old 02-10-11, 08:52 PM   #3
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Is it possible to combine the two?

As in, a living will with the instructions required to bring on death, and a "normal" will that describes your wishes after?

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 08:59 PM   #4
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepete View Post
Is it possible to combine the two?

As in, a living will with the instructions required to bring on death, and a "normal" will that describes your wishes after?

Pete
Don't see why not.
Old 02-10-11, 09:45 PM   #5
Kilted Ginger

Yes, its in my pocket when i ride and a copy ar home. there was quite a big discussion on this before, i'll see if i can find it
Old 02-10-11, 10:21 PM   #6
Stenno

I'd even recommend a ‘Lasting Power of Attorney’ for anyone getting old for medical and financial powers. Having watched my grandparents pass away slowly, my father really struggled to do anything when it cames to care and paying the bills.
Old 03-10-11, 08:09 AM   #7
Bri w

I've not given it much thought but having had the reaper visit for 3 out 4 parents in the last few years, and experiencing the gruelling run up to their deaths, its something I must sort out.

The remaining parent is in the state she always said she didn't want to live with and is DNR. Thankfully she arranged Last Power of Attorney before the pixies pinched the last remnants of her mind, and thank god she did. Its bad enough sorting some of the rubbish out, especially all the telephone sales that ring up wanting to sell insurance/kitchens/double glazing etc that she always just says yes to. Imagine doing it if LPoA wasn't in place.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 04:17 PM   #8
BernardBikerchick

i must update my will you made me think ! thanks !!! yes got one did it years ago and glad i did !