SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 07-08-12, 04:04 PM   #11
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quick track day question

I have Pirelli Diablo's on there at the moment, good tread front and rear but I'm going to replace them with all year tyres soon anyway, so thought I might as well destroy them on the track.

Main reason for doing a track day is so I can find out my limits and maybe the bikes (I'll bottle it before the bike does I reckon) as I simply don't want to do this on the normal roads...not so much for myself, but I'd find it hard to live with myself if I was pushing it, ****ed it and hurt someone else. Safety first!
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 04:08 PM   #12
Runako

You should be reported for being mature and level headed
Old 07-08-12, 04:22 PM   #13
Mega Poster

haha, well..at the moment I'm just too scared to reeeeally lob it around corners. If I see a nice long view up front that's empty and it's sweeping, I'll get it over as far as I can, I've not shifted my body over yet to try get my knee down, mainly just use counter steering to force it over. Probably completely the wrong way to do it but I'm a completely self confessed noob with no skills other than being able to predic idiots from quite a distance haha
Old 07-08-12, 04:45 PM   #14
BlackFlag94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runako View Post
You should be reported for being mature and level headed
Ahaha, 650 you should quote this for your signature !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
haha, well..at the moment I'm just too scared to reeeeally lob it around corners. If I see a nice long view up front that's empty and it's sweeping, I'll get it over as far as I can, I've not shifted my body over yet to try get my knee down, mainly just use counter steering to force it over. Probably completely the wrong way to do it but I'm a completely self confessed noob with no skills other than being able to predic idiots from quite a distance haha
I'm 18 and have a somewhat typical 18 year old outlook on life. SPEEDDDDDD!!!!!! Thing is I do also realise that sometimes (most of the time on public roads) it just isn't a good idea. As for counter steering, you will always counter steer regardless of hanging off or not. On the road you only need to hang off if you're picking up the pace in the wet (you can corner at same speed as in the dry safely by hanging off) or if you're really pushing it in the dry (which you say you don't do). A track day is probably the best way and if I had the money i'd be doing them ! I'll just stick to commuting and getting my kicks on the road =)

Speed safe and enjoy
Old 07-08-12, 09:18 PM   #15
BBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Don't actually know yet!

I'm in Weybridge now, so anywhere within a 100 mile radius isn't off the cards...closer is better obviously.
only up the road in molesey.

TBH its easier if your riding really far to just stay the night closer to the track...i was still shattered from the day before but only had to ride 20miles and not get up at 3am.
Old 08-08-12, 08:13 AM   #16
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFlag94 View Post
Ahaha, 650 you should quote this for your signature !!

I'm 18 and have a somewhat typical 18 year old outlook on life. SPEEDDDDDD!!!!!! Thing is I do also realise that sometimes (most of the time on public roads) it just isn't a good idea. As for counter steering, you will always counter steer regardless of hanging off or not. On the road you only need to hang off if you're picking up the pace in the wet (you can corner at same speed as in the dry safely by hanging off) or if you're really pushing it in the dry (which you say you don't do). A track day is probably the best way and if I had the money i'd be doing them ! I'll just stick to commuting and getting my kicks on the road =)

Speed safe and enjoy
Haha, fair do's! I suppose I badly worded it, I know all about counter steering and how...well...you can't go round corners without it haha. Save up some dough and get some track time in, I'd be up for going with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBadger View Post
only up the road in molesey.

TBH its easier if your riding really far to just stay the night closer to the track...i was still shattered from the day before but only had to ride 20miles and not get up at 3am.
*checks google maps* Ah yeah, only 5 minutes, literally! Should go for a ride out sometime as I'm new to the south full stop, don't really know any good roads where I can push it a little harder.
Old 08-08-12, 09:04 AM   #17
BBadger

well if the weathers good this weekend i know some lovely roads from newlands down to brighton for a spot of lunch, and the route back is just as good.

ill put it up in the gm and rideout section.
Old 08-08-12, 11:17 AM   #18
Nick_69

http://www.focusedevents.com/event_info.asp?ID=2561

If you get leathers in time tis would be a good first track day for you becuase its only an evening seesion so not as long as a full day also its at brand which is only 45 miles away form weybridge as i live in walton and never have a problem riding there and back in the day

Now GSXR 600 K9
Nick_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 11:45 PM   #19
hardhat_harry

If your looking for leathers may I suggest these (no they arent mine).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hein-Geric...item27c9e3507c

The strechy stuff is kevlar on them and they are top quality, most new leathers in the sub £600 arent made anywhere near as good as these.

This was confirmed by Joyda as a cracking set of leathers for the price
Old 08-08-12, 11:50 PM   #20
hardhat_harry

These are also very good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINDSTRAND...item2ebada60cb