SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-01-13, 09:25 AM   #21
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: '13 Ireland Summer SV Road Trip Plan

If that's not his gf when can the pervy remarks start, even if she is ginger...

I tend to wear a neck tube even if it's sunny, caberg were giving away free ones and we got a load of ride safe ones given out free at the glencoe the other year... I'm sure there must be a couple floating around free if you ask.

They serve two very important protective functions, sunburn is a bit annoying, wasps at 120mph really f***ing hurt.
Old 16-01-13, 09:50 AM   #22
Pete7

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage86 View Post
, and then you can scoot on down to Belfast to the ferry.
Before jumping on the ferry, a quick trip along the Ards Peninsular and catch the ferry across Strangford Lough. Stop first at Portaferry and the discovery centre to learn about the wirlpool, just astonishing, not many places in the world you will see sea water run down hill. Strangford narrows makes a good dive too if a little scary.

Pete
Old 16-01-13, 10:02 AM   #23
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
If that's not his gf when can the pervy remarks start, even if she is ginger...

I tend to wear a neck tube even if it's sunny, caberg were giving away free ones and we got a load of ride safe ones given out free at the glencoe the other year... I'm sure there must be a couple floating around free if you ask.

They serve two very important protective functions, sunburn is a bit annoying, wasps at 120mph really f***ing hurt.
+1 on that one!
Old 16-01-13, 11:38 AM   #24
TCochrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Oh, sorry. I assumed that was her in the picture with ginger hair and quite fair skin. I could imagine sunburn coming very easily.

Having spent a lifetime so far being ginger myself, the concept of using dye to achieve it on purpose is an alien one to me LOL

Or perhaps I got the wrong end if the stick, and that's not Laura in the picture at all? Bruno Mars' girlfriend perhaps?
No you have wrong end of the entire tree haha

That IS Laura, my girlfriend, the same girlfriend I went to Crete with and the same one I'm going to Ireland with. She isn't ginger, she's not ginger in that picture, she doesn't look it in that picture to me, must be the lighting or something. She's blonde haha. Bearing in mind we had recently been swimming in the sea behind us.

Surprisingly she doesn't burn as easily as I'd have thought, her skin is fairly resiliant to it
Old 16-01-13, 03:26 PM   #25
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCochrane View Post
She isn't ginger, she's not ginger in that picture, she doesn't look it in that picture to me, must be the lighting or something. She's blonde haha
OK, I have another two travel tips, the first is a fairly important safety thing, the second will ensure you have happy memories of your trip, both must be done before you go. Firstly, get an eye test done, secondly buy a new camera!
Old 16-01-13, 03:35 PM   #26
-Ralph-

Anyway - he looks like Bruno Mars when he wears his shades, and his girlfriend looks like a ginger hottie, THEN he tells us she's actually a blonde hottie.

You really can go off people you know.

At least now neither of you will ever forget that the back of your neck can get sunburnt when your on a bike
Old 16-01-13, 03:42 PM   #27
TCochrane

I'm gonna take them as compliments haha
Old 16-01-13, 04:07 PM   #28
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCochrane View Post
I'm gonna take them as compliments haha
Scottish sense of humour.

One thing I forgot to say, though you may already know.

Route planning using Google Maps - I made the assumption that Irish N road = British A road, both green on Google maps and Irish R road = British B road or Minor A, both orange on Google maps

I don't like big wide straight A roads so I plan my motorbike routes on Orange roads.

I did this for an ROI trip I found when I got there an Orange road was a country lane, wide enough for two cars to pass and a token line painted down the middle if you are lucky. And a Green road was much like a British B road or Minor A.

I had to ditch all the routes I'd planned on my laptop and uploaded to my sat nav before the trip, buy a map, and start again from scratch the old fashioned way, all on N roads.

I also think it's a real shame not to do the Antrim Coast from Larne to Londonderry, with the Giants Causeway en-route, but that said you can't see the whole Island in 12 days.
Old 16-01-13, 04:41 PM   #29
TCochrane

We'll definitely plan our route using N roads in that case!

We'll also be considering adding a couple days onto the trip as per all the recommendations for the northern coast
Old 16-01-13, 06:40 PM   #30
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

As has already been said, take more care negotiating the roads. Particularly in rural areas, I've had a few people pull out on me, where they have just dawdled out of junctions and simply not been aware of me on the bike and in fact the car.

You wont see that many other bikes IME and the car driving populace just arent used to them and they mis judge your speed.

Getting fuel on Sundays can be an interesting experience you might find alot of places are shut.

Also cost of living is more expensive, food is more expensive so bear that in mind.

Apart from that enjoy it, its a wonderful country, Liz's Dad's side of the family are from County Sligo, I can recommend you a few places to go in that area if you would like ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote