SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-06-18, 09:22 AM   #11
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Intermittent Start

R1ffR4ff, thanks for the link. Just order that some brake cleaner and engine additive whilst I was at it.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 09:26 AM   #12
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
R1ffR4ff, thanks for the link. Just order that some brake cleaner and engine additive whilst I was at it.
The only engine additive I use is Moly.I doesn't cause,"Clutch Slip".I wouldn't recommend anything else in the engine unless I had tested it on my own bikes.
Old 01-06-18, 09:37 AM   #13
shiftin_gear98

It had loads of good reviews - I'll test it and let you know, it can't make my engine any worse.
Old 01-06-18, 09:38 AM   #14
shiftin_gear98

Whoops missed out a word, "neglected" engine any worse.
Old 01-06-18, 09:40 AM   #15
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
It had loads of good reviews - I'll test it and let you know, it can't make my engine any worse.
I've guinea-pigged lots of stuff over the years so go for it.It people don't try stuff we never know

If it did give problems you can do a double engine flush with some cheap oil.IIRC B&M stores are doing a gallon of 10w40 for around £12.99 which can be used as an engine flush much safer than supposed dedicated ones.
Old 01-06-18, 11:19 AM   #16
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I wouldnt use any oil additive in the engine. It makes no difference to the carburation or ignition side of things which is nearly always where running problems are, and some additives may or may not cause other damage to clutches or seals. Why bother when just regular oil changes are completely safe and completely adequate to prevent wear.
Old 01-06-18, 12:06 PM   #17
shiftin_gear98

The last time it saw a mechanic about 30,000 miles ago it had some added then as he said it was a bit black in there. His departing words to me were "give a good hard ride".

Which to be fair I've been riding it like I stole it ever since, my commutes are the highlight of most working days. Apart from when I get home obviously.

The oil is changed roughly every 4000 miles give or take. As said before I doubt it can hurt, besides I've already paid for it. She's heading towards the scrap heap in the sky anyway.

Any two more hours to test if it starts again.
Old 01-06-18, 12:57 PM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Liquimoly (German equivalent of molyslip) say up to 2% in wet clutch is fine, I add 60ml to SV when changing oil and absolutely no problems. I have used Molly in engine and gear box on cars for many a long year, and had no issues with seals etc ever, despite my cars doing well over 100,000 up to 190,000 miles, in fact they have been so remarkably free of problems, used no oil, and been quiet running I swear by moly. Molybdenum sulphide is well proven in industry and is also the reason CV joints last the life of the vehicle instead of regularly failing.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 01:04 PM   #19
Bibio
Mega Poster

i have said this before but it falls on deaf ears. dont use molly in your wet clutch oil. i dont care what bull manufacturers say as they are all trying to sell their products. anything that increases the "slippiness" of oil in a wet clutch sump is bad.

but hey its upto the owner what they do but i personally would never tell someone else to use molly in oil. cars are different in that they have dry clutches and separate gearboxes and then i would say yes use it as it works perfect.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 02:15 PM   #20
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Liquimoly (German equivalent of molyslip) say up to 2% in wet clutch is fine, I add 60ml to SV when changing oil and absolutely no problems. I have used Molly in engine and gear box on cars for many a long year, and had no issues with seals etc ever, despite my cars doing well over 100,000 up to 190,000 miles, in fact they have been so remarkably free of problems, used no oil, and been quiet running I swear by moly. Molybdenum sulphide is well proven in industry and is also the reason CV joints last the life of the vehicle instead of regularly failing.
I've been using Moly based products as long as you.Well over 15 years on Wet-Clutch motorcycles with no Clutch slip or problems.

Also even oil makers now know of it's benefits as they now include some in their High end Motorcycle and Automotive oils.

Dealer's choice.No harm in not using it.No harm in using it and keeps my engine really smooth and quiet