SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-06-18, 10:34 AM   #1
samkent6

Default Curvy wet weather and other common issues

Hello everybody. Brand new to SV-650 ownership and thought I’d get myself on here for some advice. Got myself a nice curvy recently but just a day after collecting I had two common issues happen in the same day

First off was the classic charging system reg/rec failure. left me stranded. Luckily I broke down right next to a Thunder-road dealership who gave me a charged battery so I could ride to the garage where I purchased the bike from to get it fixed. Sweet

Then about 500 yards down the road I got caught in a thunderstorm. The road was more of a lake at that stage. The bike died at 50mph and I quickly discovered that this is the well known SV-325 problem. It scared me because I was unaware of this beforehand (silly me). I’m going to get a fender extender and some dielectric grease or some sort of silicone to try and create a better seal because I do ride in the rain

What other things should I be aware of moving forward? I absolutely love the bike apart from this though. Sounds amazing with the slip on it’s got, and the torque coming from a CB500 is awesome. Cheers guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-18, 11:28 AM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy wet weather and other common issues

There is a drain hole that lets water out of the plug recess which exits on the right side of the head and needs to be poked to ensure it is clear. Mirror image one on left side of rear cylinder too. Otherwise leccy can leak out of the HT leads if they are old and the plugs need to be inspected to ensure they are OK and not rusty from too much getting wet.
As for the reg/rec issue you had,its worth buying a cheapo multimeter and checking that all is well there especially as the garage has just "fixed" it. Lots of guff on here to tell you how to do that.
Old 01-06-18, 02:12 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

IIR curvy owners can retrofit the pointy head/plug seal 33542-17G01 (one for each head). this stops water ingress a bit better. you still need to use RRG or Silicone grease on the lip of the seal on the front cylinder.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 03:05 PM   #4
samkent6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
There is a drain hole that lets water out of the plug recess which exits on the right side of the head and needs to be poked to ensure it is clear. Mirror image one on left side of rear cylinder too. Otherwise leccy can leak out of the HT leads if they are old and the plugs need to be inspected to ensure they are OK and not rusty from too much getting wet.
As for the reg/rec issue you had,its worth buying a cheapo multimeter and checking that all is well there especially as the garage has just "fixed" it. Lots of guff on here to tell you how to do that.

Just got myself a cheap multimeter from Halfords so that will be the first thing I will be checking when I get it back. Then I’ll order a fender extender and take a look at those drain holes

Old 01-06-18, 05:15 PM   #5
samkent6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post

Got myself a multimeter. Didn’t know about the drain holes, thanks for that. Will pull the plugs when I get it back and inspect them (apparently they changed those when they serviced it so they should be good), and I’ll clear out those holes and then work on waterproofing it more with the fender extender and grease. Which is best to use? I’ve heard of dielectric grease and silicone but not sure which would be better

Old 01-06-18, 05:34 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Sticky choke plungers that's another problem, and the drain tube from the fuel filler cap can rust, leading to water in the fuel, as it runs through the tank.

Clean and treat all the electrical connectors with ACF50.

Brakes are good if calipers are serviced properly.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 06:02 PM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I fitted straight NGK Spark plug caps.I don't ride in the the rain unless caught so the little rubber skirt I made out of some old inner tube does it's job ,

However if I was going to use the Bike to commute I would make another bigger piece to go over it as added protection.The engine doesn't get hot enough to cause any trouble to them,even stopped in traffic.I know this as I quite often check my Spark plugs.

I do have a,"Fender Extender" fitted as recommend on this and other SV forums.

Just some thoughts
Old 01-06-18, 06:20 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkent6 View Post
Got myself a multimeter. Didn’t know about the drain holes, thanks for that. Will pull the plugs when I get it back and inspect them (apparently they changed those when they serviced it so they should be good), and I’ll clear out those holes and then work on waterproofing it more with the fender extender and grease. Which is best to use? I’ve heard of dielectric grease and silicone but not sure which would be better
Standard silicone grease good enough for water proofing, but Silicone dielectric grease for insulating ( I guess the dielectric grease makes a better insulator of high ignition voltage and a decent waterproofer as well) - guess the dielectric kind may be purer to make it a better insulator. Both will be high melting point to stay where they are put while resisting cylinder head temp.

I guess any silicone grease is better than non to keep water out, but if you can get the 'good stuff' I would.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote