SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-06-18, 06:33 PM   #1
AkiraSV

Default Creaking from around rear wheel?

Hey!

I noticed when putting the bike (K3 SV650S) away recently that there's an intermittent 'creaking' noise coming from somewhere around the rear of the bike. It almost sounds like squeaky leathers (I'd already de-leathered though so it wasn't just me!).

This was noticed when wheeling the bike slowly when it was turned off. I got it up on a rear paddock stand and rotated it by hand but wasn't able to notice anything obvious - I started near the front sprocket area as at first I thought it might be something rubbing but the more I investigated the more I gravitated to the rear wheel. I -think- I can feel a slight vibration through the rear wheel when it does creak but it wasn't a mega-obvious vibration.

Just had it mot'd and serviced and nothing was mentioned about, although a workshop probably isn't the quietest environment...

Other potentially useful information is that it's been stood for about two and a half years during a bit of a sabbatical period from biking, but unsure if that'd be an issue!

I didn't think to count how many times it creaks per wheel rotation and I'm away from the bike till the weekend, but can do that then if it'd be useful information.

Anyone got any thoughts on what it could be?
Old 03-06-18, 06:50 PM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Creaking from around rear wheel?

Someone on here recently had a rubbing noise from rear wheel and cured it by spraying some chain lube onto rear wheel bearing seals, which can get dry and squeak or rub.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 08:48 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Creaking from around rear wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I wouldn't have thought there was too much it could be:

1) chain - you could give it a good clean/lube or slacken it enough to lift it over the rear sprocket so you could spin the rear wheel freely.

2) wheel bearings themselves or perhaps their seals have dried out a bit (spray them with some chain lube)

3) brake pads rubbing (don't usually creak though)

4) something stuck to your tyre (clutching at straws now)
All that plus chain too tight? That can cause odd noises.