SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-05-06, 08:56 PM   #1
wheelnut

Default Donington

I have been on a sighting lap today, not racing, just watching Derby Phoenix racing.

I watched a few rounds of Reliant Robin racing too :P

However my sighting lap was more about checking out the improvements they have supposed to have made.

A silk purse and a sows ear comes to mind, Apparently they have spent many thousands of pounds improving the circuit for this years GP.

What I saw was a few new flags, some hired portocabin toilets and some painting, apart from the upgrade to the Race Control and some work to the pit garages, none of which benefit racegoers. They have also spent money on a new website
Old 28-05-06, 10:05 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I've read that the improvements for spectators are due for 2007.

I've got tickets for this years GP I'm not deluding myself that its going to be any better. If theres one thing they need to sort its the traffic management. I can put up with smelly toilets and litter. What does my noodle in is sitting for two hours in a car and not going anywhere because the car park marshalls got fedup with getting wet and f*cked off home because thats what it looked like happened last year.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-06, 05:57 AM   #3
falc

Still waiting for our tickets will have to chase that up
Old 29-05-06, 09:07 AM   #4
Saint Matt

Tickets shouldnt arrive until about 2 weeks before the event, stops you losing them
Old 29-05-06, 10:09 AM   #5
wheelnut

I think I might be a tart this year and try to get a hospitality box :P free beer and a minion to clear up after us :P
Old 29-05-06, 12:46 PM   #6
tomjones2

As fizzwheel said if they fix anything its got to be the traffic, i went on a bike two years ago and spent 2 hours leaving the area.

Saying that the bike parking at brands wsb was even worse when i went. There must have been 2000 bikes trying to get through a single gate.
Old 29-05-06, 03:37 PM   #7
Paws

Well i can tell you guys in just over 2weeks time if anythings changed, as ill be there for the download music festival.
Old 29-05-06, 10:35 PM   #8
Vfr400

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjones2
As fizzwheel said if they fix anything its got to be the traffic, i went on a bike two years ago and spent 2 hours leaving the area.

Saying that the bike parking at brands WSB was even worse when i went. There must have been 2000 bikes trying to get through a single gate.
When i went to Brands WSB in 2000 I eventually got out of the car park at 10.30pm!! then faced a 3 mile queue for the tunnel
Whats the spectating like at Donington now?when i went a few years ago IMHO it was poor all the areas were miles from the track
chris
Old 30-05-06, 08:30 AM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfr400
Whats the spectating like at Donington now?when i went a few years ago IMHO it was poor all the areas were miles from the track
chris
Depends where you sit

Foggy Esses or Goddards are my favourite places. You can get quite close there and often I find theres alot of overtaking at those places or falls so it makes spectating enjoyable.

I also like standing on the corner before starkeys straight. Watching the GP bikes power slide onto the straight is ace.

I find that the infield at Craner is to far away. If you walk round the track and sit on the edge of the circuit at the old hairpin that is reasonably close to the track though.

My main tip would be pick your spot get there early and then dont move all day. I've been queuing to get in the circuit at 6:30 and by the time I've got to where I wanted to sit most of the good spots have gone.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-06, 12:15 PM   #10
Fizzy Fish

I heard that Donington had to prioritise the pit lane improvements in order to get up to scratch with what is required of a track hosting Moto GP racing. I believe spectator improvements and a new screen are on their way in the next year or so, and they're also trying to get road access improved - although don't hold your breath especially for that last one!

Personally I'm not going this year - much as I love watching bike racing, I can't bring myself to shell out the amount they want for the experience they're offering. Having been to Catalunya last year and experienced good facilities, loads of screens and fantastic atmosphere, it really shows up what we're getting here. Hope that they do get their act together soon though, and in the meantime there's always WSB and BSB which are currently delivering some great viewing!