SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-03-06, 11:40 AM   #1
DanAbnormal

Default Removing front seat nigh on impossible (for me).

Right, I am officially annoyed. I was trying to fit my tail tidy and I got stuck at the removal of the front seat. I took the side panels off and you have two little allen bolts that attach the seat to the frame. But for love or money I cannot damn well move them, they are totally solid! Only trying with an allen key as I can't find a correct wrench head from Halfords. Plus the fact that the damn muppets that work there may as well be working in McDonalds. One guy said "What's a wrench?" Anyone know which tool I require as I think this is only possible with the wrench. I've mangled my fingers too. Grrrr!
Old 16-03-06, 11:46 AM   #2
Samurai

It is possible with the Allen Key, you should be able to do most things with the tools in the tool bag, think it is just going to be a case of brut force mate,
Old 16-03-06, 11:49 AM   #3
thor

Have you tried drenching the threads in wd40? Do it a couple of times over the course of 24 hours and it might help to loosen them. Don't use the cheapo tools though, or it might feck the alley key socket.
Old 16-03-06, 12:05 PM   #4
DanAbnormal

I know what you mean about brute force and belive me I've given it everything but still no joy. And not one to brag but I'm not exactly weak. I'll try the wd40 soaking method. Cheers chaps.

Dan
Old 16-03-06, 12:13 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Should be a 6mm hex bolt iirc.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-06, 12:15 PM   #6
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Should be a 6mm hex bolt iirc.
Cheers. I'll see if I can find a suitable wrench add on.

Dan
Old 16-03-06, 12:15 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I don't know if it's the same allen bolt as the curvy but mine will take a sharp tap with a heavy hammer on the allen key to break the bolt loose.Make sure it's properly inserted first to avoid it slipping and shagging the hole.

That may need editing but you get what I mean
Old 16-03-06, 12:42 PM   #8
ianofbhills

whats a wrench?

seriously i dont know.

defo try the lubing it method with wd40 or similar penetrating oil first then try adding an extension onto the end of your allen key to make it longer so you can apply more force easier and they should come undone force x distance and all that.

careful tho if its that stuck applying more and more leverage could round the allen head then you'd have to drill it out.
Old 16-03-06, 01:19 PM   #9
Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianofbhills

careful tho if its that stuck applying more and more leverage could round the allen head then you'd have to drill it out.
Shouldn't be able to round of, think these are the only bolts on the SV that aint made out of cheese
Old 16-03-06, 01:54 PM   #10
DanAbnormal

How stupid do I feel. I just used the allen key from the suzuki toolbag (and that little compartment is a pain in the **** too) and it was dead easy. I must have loosened them when I previously tried. Yet another daft thread by me! I've stuck the toolbag under the rear seat. Can't be arsed with all that faffling about trying to squeeze it into that teeny compartment.