SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Moto GP Goto Moto GP Official Site

Old 22-12-07, 10:07 AM   #1
Alpinestarhero

Default No Control Tyre...Control ECU?

News from crash.net states that MotoGP bosses are dabbling with the idea of a control ECU...a standard ECU that all the teams must use to control their electronics. A good thing? A bad thing?

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/moto...ectronics.html

I think the idea is great in terms of controling traction control, wheelie control, but what about engine managment? The fueling should be left up to the manufacture, as what the manufacuturs learn are passed down quickly to the new road bikes, giving us riders easier-to-live-with engines, despite having a trillion bhp. Also helps manufactures learn how they can get the most from their engine and get around emissions regulations, keeping everyone happy.

Pro's and cons then, from me

Matt
Old 23-12-07, 03:07 PM   #2
sinbad

Default Re: No Control Tyre...Control ECU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
News from crash.net states that MotoGP bosses are dabbling with the idea of a control ECU...a standard ECU that all the teams must use to control their electronics. A good thing? A bad thing?

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/moto...ectronics.html

I think the idea is great in terms of controling traction control, wheelie control, but what about engine managment? The fueling should be left up to the manufacture, as what the manufacuturs learn are passed down quickly to the new road bikes, giving us riders easier-to-live-with engines, despite having a trillion bhp. Also helps manufactures learn how they can get the most from their engine and get around emissions regulations, keeping everyone happy.

Pro's and cons then, from me

Matt
Yep, the downside of all the rules that force the use of a particular component is that development of those parts is slowed or halted. Like the F1 engines being frozen for 10 years, or the single brand of tyre rule. Competition breeds innovation, it's half of the justification for motorsport even existing, given the current political climate..... and the climate

Plus GP is about prototype machinery. The tyre thing I understand, and approve of - to a great extent, although I see the downside there too, but I think ECUs is a step too far. Maybe it's just impossible to outlaw traction control without doing this, or at least impractical to test and monitor whether teams are cheating or not.