SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-05-11, 10:46 AM   #4041
WicklowSV

Default Re: The running thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Good luck for Sunday, I'm doing a half myself up in Yorkshire (Ravenscar half marathion).

As for often starting runs badly, I often find with my short fast runs it takes 2-3 km to get up to speed and into a nice rhythm, the other week I did the return leg so fast after a slow astart I almost beat my PB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Best of luck guys. I look forward to reading your race reports.
Cheers folks - thanks for the good wishes. Went out for a short (6k) run last night. Upped the pace a bit and threw in a few Fartlek sprints for the second half of the run. One minute sprints with three minute recoveries - I was wrecked afterwards! Remainder of the week will be easy enough - maybe a few short cycles and a wee bit of jogging at most. Don't want to tire out this old body of mine right before raceday!

I'm the same - it takes me about 12-15 mins to settle into a rhythm when running. After that the autopilot sort of takes over until I hit the first 'wall'. Then there's a bit of mental argument ('you've done it before, you can do it again' - that sorta stuff) before settling back into the rhythm. And so the cycle continues with the arguments getting more and more heated!
Old 13-05-11, 08:53 AM   #4042
Stig

Was out again this morning with Foxy. Her pace is really starting to come together and she can maintain pace uphill which is something she has struggled with before. Really enjoying going out running with her now. Still keeping fingers crossed my knees, feet and trapped nerve don't rise to the fore and have to stop again. Have a nice new pair of Oakley M Frame sunglasses for that early morning sun too.

Old 16-05-11, 11:51 AM   #4043
WicklowSV

Well the race went well. Managed to get to the finish line which is a success in itself! Did it in 2:12 which is a few minutes faster than last year. Slightly different course and an earlier (9am) start made for easier conditions. Nice n cool at that time of the morning - good for me coz the heat gets to me big time. Did have to walk at one stage (raging about that!) but picked up a good pace near the finish and sprinted across the finish line! Enjoyed the day loads and glad to have another half mara under my belt.

Gonna look around for a local running club and see if I can structure my training a bit more - think I'd benefit from it as my running can be a bit haphazard sometimes...
Old 18-05-11, 08:39 PM   #4044
Milky Bar Kid

http://runkeeper.com/user/MBK/activity/35999512

Just did this. 2.8miles, 35.12 secs, 12:35 min/mile. Fairly happy with that as first exercise since training in April!
Old 18-05-11, 08:52 PM   #4045
The Idle Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicklowSV View Post
Well the race went well. Managed to get to the finish line which is a success in itself! Did it in 2:12 which is a few minutes faster than last year. Slightly different course and an earlier (9am) start made for easier conditions. Nice n cool at that time of the morning - good for me coz the heat gets to me big time.
Well done mate nice one, hold on the though, you live in Ireland right? Does it get hot there ever?
Old 22-05-11, 01:45 PM   #4046
Tim in Belgium

Ravenscar half marathon had a tough second half, lots of steep gullies with steps arrrrghhh!

Slower than my training runs but hard work, 1hr 50. A few fell runner types about, it was that sort of run!

Did a cruisey 25km training run in Holland yesterday, in 2:04, so sub 5min/km pace which is pretty good for me over this kind of distance, plus it was before breakfast, just a black cup of tea before the run (I'd run out of milk in the dutch house having just driven back from Reading the night before), and a 500ml bottle of squash in my hand as I'd forgotten my camelback type thing. Pretty chuffed.
Old 22-05-11, 07:29 PM   #4047
The Idle Biker

Good stuff Tim, that a boomin' good time at Ravenscar, sounds a tough course.
Old 24-05-11, 12:07 PM   #4048
Stig

Not long back from a 10 mile run myself. 1 hour 22 minutes. That's something like 8.15 minute miles. Sllllooowww. But at least I am still managing a run or two throughout the week which is the only thing I worry about these days. Foxy is getting faster and faster all the time. She kicked my butt a while ago. lol.
Old 25-05-11, 12:32 AM   #4049
Milky Bar Kid

Well, I was wanting to go out but I seem to have injured myself when out cycling. Got a pain in my knee when walking and bending it, it's in my dodgey knee but it's not the usual pain or inflammation I get. Will give it another couple of days and if it doesn't clear I may have to think about a trip to the Dr.
Old 25-05-11, 03:36 PM   #4050
The Idle Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
Well, I was wanting to go out but I seem to have injured myself when out cycling. Got a pain in my knee when walking and bending it, it's in my dodgey knee but it's not the usual pain or inflammation I get. Will give it another couple of days and if it doesn't clear I may have to think about a trip to the Dr.
Ibruprofen, Idle Bikers cure all, in fact I can't get enough of it!