SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-05-12, 10:34 PM   #4161
EssexDave

Default Re: The running thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
Get some iodine, a needle and thread. Soak the thread in iodine and then puncture the blister with the needle. Drain the fluid and then push the needle into the blister and out again. Pull the thread through the holes. It'll sting like hell for a few seconds but it will also harden the soft skin under the blister and help it heal so much quicker.

I used to 'prep' my feet before a run by rubbing iodine into them. It hardens the skin and helps prevent blisters.

Another alternative to keep you running whilst you have blisters is to use Compeed plasters. If I am ever doing long distance runs, then I make sure I have a couple with me. Start feeling any 'hot spots', then stop and put the plaster over the spot.

Will give it a go. Cheers.
Old 17-05-12, 10:37 AM   #4162
Spank86

I try to run 10k every weekend, preferably with as few hills as possible. Usually manage low 50's/high 40's depending on the day.

I've no idea about running on heels or balls of my feet, Both I expect.
Old 21-05-12, 03:31 PM   #4163
Sally

Completed the Baker Hughes 10K on Sunday!
Finished with a time of 44:45 which I am happy with!
Considering a still need to lose a stone, stop smoking and do any training! Haha
Played a game of football on Saturday did not help!

Just need to keep it up!
Old 21-05-12, 04:08 PM   #4164
Stenno

That's a terrific time! Nice one
Old 21-05-12, 04:09 PM   #4165
Sally

394 out of ~4000, definitely happy with that

Cheers lad!
Old 21-05-12, 05:15 PM   #4166
EssexDave

Good effort! I'm doing a 10k in October.

After my dissmal marathon attempt (was far too hilly, not enough training and only managed 17 miles) I'm hoping for a sub 45 time. It is relatively flat but my first run of 10k was a 1 hour 1 minute to work run (my first run in years).

I'm looking for plans at the minute to get this time down a bit, any tips? (Other than quitting smoking)
Old 21-05-12, 05:42 PM   #4167
Spank86

I've done a couple of 10k's and my best time was 48. I weigh less than 10stone but am hampered by a lack of any appreciable muscles.

Not sure I can give you guys any tips, unless "run faster" helps?
Old 21-05-12, 06:36 PM   #4168
EssexDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
I've done a couple of 10k's and my best time was 48. I weigh less than 10stone but am hampered by a lack of any appreciable muscles.

Not sure I can give you guys any tips, unless "run faster" helps?

never thought of that one
Old 21-05-12, 07:00 PM   #4169
Spank86

In fairness I tried that once and it didn't work out so well. Put in a storming start and then it all went wrong at 3k, finished in 53mins.
Old 21-05-12, 07:11 PM   #4170
anna
Mega Poster

EssexDave.. to bring your time down is really in the training, if you are specifically training for speed rather then distance try Fartlek training. [Essentially it is sprinting then jogging throughout your training runs]

Get yourself over to runners world or similar website to get more indepth info on it to tailor it for your needs though.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote