SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-06-12, 03:57 PM   #4171
allantheboss

Default Re: The running thread!

GURUS!

Can someone recommend me a running shoe? I do around 7 miles around a lake, mostly tarmac several times a week. My price limit is about £40 but I'm more keen on the value-for-money bit, so a £100 pair for just £20 is my dream (for example).

Can someone recommend something? I'm size 12. I was looking here:
http://www.sportsdirect.com/mens/mens-running-shoes
which I like because I can arrange from "Highest savings" to lowest, but I'm getting brands like Everlast and Karrimor and don't know if they're any good.

Thanks in advance!
Old 16-07-12, 01:47 PM   #4172
flymo
Mega Poster

hi all, It's been a good while since I poked my nose in here. I nipped out for my first run in about 12 months.

It felt like meeting an old friend, I totally loved it.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-12, 01:50 PM   #4173
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by allantheboss View Post
GURUS!

Can someone recommend me a running shoe? I do around 7 miles around a lake, mostly tarmac several times a week. My price limit is about £40 but I'm more keen on the value-for-money bit, so a £100 pair for just £20 is my dream (for example).

Can someone recommend something? I'm size 12. I was looking here:
http://www.sportsdirect.com/mens/mens-running-shoes
which I like because I can arrange from "Highest savings" to lowest, but I'm getting brands like Everlast and Karrimor and don't know if they're any good.

Thanks in advance!
Best advice I ever got was to find a running store than can do good gait analysis, usually by videoing you on a specially adapted treadmill. The best I ever had was in the Asics store in London where they measured and analysed everything before selling me a perfectly suited running shoe.

Even if you end up spending a little more, a properly fitted shoe will save you pain and injury in the long term.
Old 25-07-12, 12:35 PM   #4174
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
Best advice I ever got was to find a running store than can do good gait analysis, usually by videoing you on a specially adapted treadmill. The best I ever had was in the Asics store in London where they measured and analysed everything before selling me a perfectly suited running shoe.

Even if you end up spending a little more, a properly fitted shoe will save you pain and injury in the long term.
I was quite interested to see the panorama prorgam about sports industry n they refuted this, saying it's a marketing strategy and that we may be doing more harm than good by "over supporting" our feet - making us more prone to injury. Little bit chicken and egg. Shows worth a watch if its still on iplayer.
Old 25-07-12, 01:47 PM   #4175
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
I was quite interested to see the panorama prorgam about sports industry n they refuted this, saying it's a marketing strategy and that we may be doing more harm than good by "over supporting" our feet - making us more prone to injury. Little bit chicken and egg. Shows worth a watch if its still on iplayer.
Thats the funny thing about science, it can always be challenged. There are people that claim wearing shoes is bad for us, there are others that claim the opposite.

All I know is, if you are a (training) shoe wearing believer, you need to use a shoe that is suited to your physiological needs. Don't just use any old training shoe. You may get away with it, but then again you may not. Wearing the correct shoe, and previously the incorrect shoe, for me made the difference between a running injury or not.

Up to you to take the choice.
Old 25-07-12, 02:51 PM   #4176
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
Thats the funny thing about science, it can always be challenged. There are people that claim wearing shoes is bad for us, there are others that claim the opposite.

All I know is, if you are a (training) shoe wearing believer, you need to use a shoe that is suited to your physiological needs. Don't just use any old training shoe. You may get away with it, but then again you may not. Wearing the correct shoe, and previously the incorrect shoe, for me made the difference between a running injury or not.

Up to you to take the choice.
I wasn't criticising your advice, just thought it was interesting. Was about sports drinks n stuff too.
Old 25-07-12, 02:59 PM   #4177
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
I wasn't criticising your advice, just thought it was interesting. Was about sports drinks n stuff too.
no problem, I didnt take as criticism either. I've yet to watch that programme, but if I've learnt anything lately its not to take any point of view as gospel. There are always alternative theories and underlying influences.
Old 18-10-12, 08:40 PM   #4178
MisterTommyH

Any one still running?

Got to say I kind of agree with the comments on how too much support can do damage. Not sure about how that fits in with over pronators but I've just been getting back into it and my heavily cushioned neutral shoes were giving me a hell of a lot of trouble at the bottom of my back.

Switched to slightly older, neutral, minimal cushioned shoes and all problems went almost straight away.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13, 08:37 AM   #4179
DanSp

Thread resurrect!?

Im running the Bath half Marathon this sunday (3rd June) have only just seen that this wonderful forum even has a running thread!
Ill post in here how i get on which, should be interesting as ive just been diagnosed with a torn rotor cuff (shoulder)

DanSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13, 10:55 AM   #4180
krhall

suffering serious cba!