SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-03-21, 07:04 PM   #11
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Updated info for 02 curvy rear shock

Hmm I thought 15W was fine and normally use that, but as Embee's pointed out in the past the W number doesn't mean much, but they don't advertise the viscosity index.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-21, 08:18 PM   #12
embee
Mega Poster

The viscosity of many commercial fork oils are listed here
http://peterverdone.com/wiki/?title=Suspension_Fluid
Check the value at 40C in cSt (first column), the usual factory fill "10W" oils used by many Jap bikes will be around 35cSt (Showa SS-8 etc), which is where the Silkolene Pro RSF 7.5W sits (now called "Maintain RSF").
The other significant property is the reported viscosity index (VI, third column) which indicates how much the viscosity changes with temperature, bigger numbers are better. Many oils are in the 150 range, RSF is typically around 300.
Old 26-03-21, 01:39 PM   #13
Tamsen Cooper

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions- loads of great info.

I had a great chat with a chap from Nitron- and think that is the way I will go on the rear shock. I am now doing some research into linear front springs rather than progressive based on the suggestions here.

Follow up question. Haynes manual, forum posts etc. all say to take the exhaust off. I can get a 17mm spanner to the linkage bolts (only just) below the shock, leaving the exhaust in place- am I missing something. I guess the reason I am so hesitant is you can imagine what a 19 year old bikes front header exhaust bolts look like, it is fusion of rust and no longer represents single parts- I am desperately keen to avoid opening up that monumental can of worms if I can help it.
Tamsen Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 03:23 PM   #14
Grant66

Mine came off without removing the exhaust. IIRC you can't get a ring spanner over it but it came free fairly easily.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 03:28 PM   #15
Bibio
Mega Poster

no need to take exhaust off. to get the rear off the ground you can flip the rider pegs round and put axle stands under them unless you already have an abba stand. you cant use a paddock stand.

i would suggest that you spray plussgas on all the bolt nuts a good few days before you start stripping things down.

even though you have chatted with nitron i must stress that you must tell them that you want the shock valved/shimmed for road use and not track also ask what kg/mm spring they are going to supply as they usually go a bit on the hard side.

please make sure that you use silkolene rsf 10w, its been tried and tested and know to work.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 04:37 PM   #16
Tamsen Cooper

Not needing to take the exhaust off is music to my ears! Has made the project feel a lot less daunting.

I do have an ABBA stand- I think they are amazing- the bike is held up rock solid and I would recommend them to anyone.

Quote:
i would suggest that you spray plussgas on all the bolt nuts a good few days before you start stripping things down.
I think this is valuable advice and I will definitely do this

Quote:
even though you have chatted with nitron i must stress that you must tell them that you want the shock valved/shimmed for road use and not track also ask what kg/mm spring they are going to supply as they usually go a bit on the hard side.
They are making it for road use and my weight, I expl;ained that it is a weekend/evening fun bike on the road, not track. Looking at the website they say "The adjustor knob affects both compression and rebound simultaneously for simple setup and making it a more road-biased shock. The shock features spring preload as well as shock length adjustment. It comes preset for damping and preload and includes the bearing end spacers and preload adjustment tool" so I have some learning to do around what these different features do and what is best.

Quote:
please make sure that you use silkolene rsf 10w, its been tried and tested and know to work.
This is great advice for the front forks and I will get some, thanks.
Old 26-03-21, 09:54 PM   #17
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

If you are servicing the swing arm, taking it out changing the bearings or at the very least greasing them you may need something other than an Abba stand to hold the bike up...

You will also need the correct castellated nut tool to remove the swing arm.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 10:33 PM   #18
TamSV
Mega Poster

IIRC to service the linkage you don’t need to take the exhaust off but to remove the swingarm you do.

When you’ve got the shock off you can move the swingarm up and down and make sure there’s no side-to-side play. Use that time to convince yourself it’s absolutely fine and that you don’t need to undo the front exhaust studs which must by now resemble twiglets.

You might think you can leave the front header and just split the pipe under the engine. You can’t. No-one can. And the rear header bolts only look OK cause it’s dark in there.....

Listen, the factory slathered those swingarm bearings with grease. Suzuki were known for their diligence on that front. It’s only been 20 years. It’ll be fiiiiiine.

Seriously though. Leave the exhaust alone if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 10:57 PM   #19
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamsen Cooper View Post
....I had a great chat with a chap from Nitron- and think that is the way I will go on the rear shock.,,,,,.
I have a Nitron NTR R1 on my NC700. For general pleasure use on the road it's all you'll ever need.
As long as the spring rate they select is correct for you, it'll need very little in the way of setting up. Adjusting the preload to get the ride height you want is easy with the threaded ring providing there is enough space to get a hand/tool in to move it.
Damping will be set up internally to suit the spring rate when it is built. The damping adjuster works very nicely on mine with just the right amount of change for each click. Mine was originally built for an ER5 but with the right spring rate for the NC and me on board. I set the damping to mid-way and then did it by trial and error, go a couple of clicks each way and ride the same piece of road to get the idea of what the changes feel like. Pretty easy to home in on what suits you very quickly. Don't be tempted to adjust it too stiff, softer is usually nicer for the road.
Old 27-03-21, 09:19 AM   #20
Tamsen Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
Use that time to convince yourself it’s absolutely fine and that you don’t need to undo the front exhaust studs which must by now resemble twiglets.
That is the most accurate description of their current state!!!

Thanks @embee for the set up guide- I will be sure to follow this