SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-03-21, 09:31 PM   #1
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default What do the org know aboiut cavity wall insulation?

I'm really umming and ahhing about cavity wall insulation at the moment. On the basis of it's fine now, without (thermally and dampwise) and everything I know about contruction (not a great deal) I would ordinarily avoid it. However I've got a real problem with neighbour noise travelling down the cavity (mid/high tones - I can hear crisp conversations, talking at regular volume and knives and forks etc) so I'm considering filling one flanking wall. It's not a particularly exposed wall and is rendered. What's org advice?

Also, question I should probably know the answer to: how do they stop the filling falling below the DPC and bridging the cavity there? Penetrating damp I'd consider running the risk with but not sub damp proof course.

Last edited by Dave20046; 30-03-21 at 09:32 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-21, 10:28 PM   #2
Grant66

Default Re: What do the org know aboiut cavity wall insulation?

On new build the insulation is held against the inner wall (plastic ties), there is an air gap between the outer wall and the insulation to prevent penetrating damp. It doesn't go below the dpc level either.

Can't see how anything insterted after the build could maintain a gap to prevent penetrating damp or avoid going below dpc level.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-21, 10:35 AM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
On new build the insulation is held against the inner wall (plastic ties), there is an air gap between the outer wall and the insulation to prevent penetrating damp. It doesn't go below the dpc level either.

Can't see how anything insterted after the build could maintain a gap to prevent penetrating damp or avoid going below dpc level.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Me neither and it seems to be accepted that they break that cardinal cavity rule to make some gov money and fit it everywhere/some sort of trade off between energy saving and probability of causing damp. I'm already uneasy about bridging the cavity further up - if they bridge it near DPC there's no way I'm doing that.
Old 31-03-21, 11:50 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

my mates main business is sound insulation (noisy neighbours). the best way is to put a false wall up with proper insulation such as rockwool rw5. it wont get rid of it all but it will reduce it considerably.

cavity wall insulation is great if you get it done properly but most firms are run by gypos. i have had no damp problems with mine but i did and still do get ant infestation that came with the filling.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-21, 01:55 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
my mates main business is sound insulation (noisy neighbours). the best way is to put a false wall up with proper insulation such as rockwool rw5. it wont get rid of it all but it will reduce it considerably.

cavity wall insulation is great if you get it done properly but most firms are run by gypos. i have had no damp problems with mine but i did and still do get ant infestation that came with the filling.
Funnily enough that's exactly what I've just done. And just as I'd finished I stepped back proud of myself to listen to the silence... I heard the neighbour's voice a few metres behind me in the wrong direction - piping out of the window reveal - I opened it up and you can hear EVERYthing - it's a 2 or 3 fold problem (laminate floor and kitchen counter touching and screwed to party wall near cavity wall, joist hopping) but I think the main issue is the air bricks on this house arent shielded. It's just a hole open to the cavity with another hole in the outer leave opposite. I might have to see if they'll let me swap their airbricks so I don't have to stuff my cavity with potential problems.

The stud's done a good job but I'm unable to stud the adjacent wall (one with the cavity) and I'm worried as soon as it's boarded it will continue the problem there ,without other measures

Last edited by Dave20046; 31-03-21 at 02:01 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-21, 07:29 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

They offered cavity insulation to our estate several years ago ( they were very aggressive and told my wife that in future not having cavity insulation would mean you could not legally sell you house - which is BS ) and only a few took up the offer - the houses are only about 20 years old and already had expanded polystyrene battens filling half the cavity, these were fitted when houses were built. A couple of neighbours who had it done have said there has been no change to their energy bills, but houses are damper, with more condensation. The retrofit blown beads insulation are a really bad idea, they can end up with blocking up airbricks, areas within wall with no insulation which cause condensation. A workmate had cavity insulation about 10 years ago and he ended up with a massive damp problem that needs a dehumidifier running 24/7 to control.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 31-03-21 at 07:34 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote