SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-03-21, 10:57 AM   #21
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Shindengen Mosfet FH080 replaced stock R/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
This is true. I only did this for a few seconds. Another way is to temporarily connect directly to the battery, or even a spare one of you have one available.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
You can fry some regulators scarily quickly running them without the load of a battery to stabilise the voltage.

Not saying this is surely the case with a modern MOSFET one, but don't risk it.

To me, it sounds like the regrec is dead on arrival. But check the output voltage direct at the regrec just in case, there is a big live connection in the loom that can rot out, and also the main fuse holders and connection are pretty weak, they have been known to get hot and burn out... but I suspect this would manifest in other gremlins.
Old 14-03-21, 03:18 PM   #22
bezsv650

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Im not sure the RR can control its output voltage correctly without being connected to the battery - I know on cars they say never disconnect the battery with the engine running...
So I was suggesting measuring the battery volts with engine running while changing the system load. If the RR is working the voltage wont change and if not the voltage of the battery will drop as only it is supplying the demand.
The extra load could be from headlight main beam but better would be heated grips or some other 12v load connected across the battery.
voltage does drop slightly when I use the head lamps / break lights
bezsv650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-21, 04:15 PM   #23
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
But check the output voltage direct at the regrec just in case
Did you try this as yorkie_chris suggested? It will be difficult to get the probes into the back of the connector (the connector must not be disconnected for the test). If you measure a higher voltage at the reg/rec it implies there's a problem within the bike's loom. If you measure the same voltage as measured at the battery it implies the reg/rec is faulty.

If this proves impracticable, you could see if a regular spade connector would fit the reg/rec socket and make a couple of temporary 12 gauge lead connections between reg/rec and battery (ideally with a 30A fuse in the positive lead - but for quick test it would be ok without - but don't cross the polarities - you'll get smoke).

A better way would be to get the correct plug but then you need a crimp tool unless you know a friendly auto electrician (I'm sure most would crimp a new lead for you for a beer or two). In case you do, they sell the plugs here: https://www.corsa-technic.com/catego...ategory_id=101
and here: http://easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html
Old 14-03-21, 04:35 PM   #24
bezsv650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Did you try this as yorkie_chris suggested? It will be difficult to get the probes into the back of the connector (the connector must not be disconnected for the test). If you measure a higher voltage at the reg/rec it implies there's a problem within the bike's loom. If you measure the same voltage as measured at the battery it implies the reg/rec is faulty.

If this proves impracticable, you could see if a regular spade connector would fit the reg/rec socket and make a couple of temporary 12 gauge lead connections between reg/rec and battery (ideally with a 30A fuse in the positive lead - but for quick test it would be ok without - but don't cross the polarities - you'll get smoke).

A better way would be to get the correct plug but then you need a crimp tool unless you know a friendly auto electrician (I'm sure most would crimp a new lead for you for a beer or two). In case you do, they sell the plugs here: https://www.corsa-technic.com/catego...ategory_id=101
and here: http://easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html
Am I to check this voltage while the bike is running ? Do I scrape off the wire coating - how do it do it? Please confirm.
see image http://bezalely.net/wire.jpg
Old 14-03-21, 04:40 PM   #25
bezsv650

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
You can fry some regulators scarily quickly running them without the load of a battery to stabilise the voltage.

Not saying this is surely the case with a modern MOSFET one, but don't risk it.

To me, it sounds like the regrec is dead on arrival. But check the output voltage direct at the regrec just in case, there is a big live connection in the loom that can rot out, and also the main fuse holders and connection are pretty weak, they have been known to get hot and burn out... but I suspect this would manifest in other gremlins.
can't see any rotting so I suspect you are correct with the regrec DOA. Please see my response to seeker.
Old 14-03-21, 05:20 PM   #26
glang

It certainly does look that way especially as the volt drop with load means its the battery thats supplying it and not the RR. However the final check before you condemn it is as suggested above, check its output volts with the engine running. Can you not get thin pieces of stiff wire into its +ve and -ve connectors to carefully measure without disconnecting it?
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-21, 05:37 PM   #27
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezsv650 View Post
Am I to check this voltage while the bike is running ? Do I scrape off the wire coating - how do it do it? Please confirm.
see image http://bezalely.net/wire.jpg
Yes, the bike has to be running because we want to see the output of the reg/rec measured at the reg/rec and yes, your diagram shows where you would be measuring. There will be power on the red lead even with ignition off.

There isn't a good (easy) way to do this which is why I suggested making up a replacement lead using regular spade connectors, bypassing the bike's loom altogether for a test.

You could scrape off the insulation but the risk of damaging the wires would be high. You could pierce each wire with a pin and measure the voltage between the pins. I'd stagger the pins so they're not level with each other to reduce the chance of shorting them, but you will need to ensure nothing touches any metal parts of the bike.
Old 15-03-21, 08:54 AM   #28
redtrummy

When testing sealed wires I attach the meter leads to sharp knife blades and then press the blade through the insulation onto the wire. Never caused a problem.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 05:02 AM   #29
bezsv650

thanks for all of your help guys, when I replaced some of the wiring the output voltage went up and solved the proble.
Old 02-04-21, 07:49 AM   #30
admin
John T
Mega Poster

That's good news.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk