SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Stuff Wanted Looking for SV bits, nothing in For Sale? Place a plea here.

Old 03-04-21, 08:21 PM   #11
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Need a Complete Exhaust for my Curvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
The studs/nuts on mine are a mess, would utilising a nut splitter or a Dremel leaving the studs exposed be any good?. I dare not try with a spanner!
Start soaking them in penetrating fluid many days before and keep topping it up. Also try running the bike up to temps and getting the engine hot to aid the bolts coming out (best way is to work them anti-clock, then again back clockwise and walk them out bit by bit). Adding some heat/penetrating fluid as you go.
In the end they may still snap off, but its best to have as little in there as possible if they do. Its pretty accessible to drill them out (on the front) if it does go a bit wrong.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 08:47 PM   #12
Spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
The studs/nuts on mine are a mess, would utilising a nut splitter or a Dremel leaving the studs exposed be any good?. I dare not try with a spanner!
You still have recogisable nuts left ? More than I've got lol. If the studs are ok then yeah try get the nuts off. Sockets are better than spanners & most people think plusgas is better then WD40 for penetration of really stubborn nuts & bolts.

If removing the nuts take your time & be really steady to preserve the thread on the studs.

I'm going to try arc welding nuts on my studs, the heat can do wonders & I might be able to get them out, maybe with an impact driver (dewalt 18v), failing that I have to drill them out & retap the holes.....
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 08:49 PM   #13
Spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Okie dokie, that will make posting it much easier, and cheaper!

I'll get round to it and let you know this week
I'll PM you my address & email.
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote