SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-04-21, 05:28 PM   #1
gadget

Default Curvy jacking point.

Hi all, I am hoping to get some info on a potential ' safe jacking point' on my curvy pending a fork removal for seal change.
Upon looking at the lower engine cases I've noticed there is a casting 'tube that goes right through the lower cases, it's about 6 inches long and has approximately a 12mm diameter.
The plan was to put a 12mm solid stainless bar right through the case tube and support the bike with an axle stand on each side about 18 inches apart so spreading the weight evenly together with a paddock stand on the rear.
I also plan to leave the jack in situ as extra support to the axle stands as removing and rebuilding the forks may take a few days due to weather/ work commitments and so on.
Do you think this method is enough to do the job safely? Is the casting tube good enough to be used as an additional support to the jack.
All advice/input most welcome. Thanks.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 06:06 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy jacking point.

I am assuming you are doing this in the garage/a sheltered area? You could also use ratchet straps around the headstock to help hold/support the bike (linked up to a roof strut if avalialble in your location). Along with the aforementioned tubes/axle stands (although i don't know the location of the hole & if it is strong enough to support the weight of the bike.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 06:16 PM   #3
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
I am assuming you are doing this in the garage/a sheltered area? You could also use ratchet straps around the headstock to help hold/support the bike (linked up to a roof strut if avalialble in your location). Along with the aforementioned tubes/axle stands (although i don't know the location of the hole & if it is strong enough to support the weight of the bike.
Unfortunately no ... bike lives under cover outside on my drive hence the longer time frame needed depending on weather etc. So needs to be very stable for maybe a few days.
Since posting this I have seen a few variations of what I'm trying to achieve and it seems that the method I intend to use has been done in several ways and also seems as safe as could be.
Perhaps I should have researched it first eh! Sorry for wasting your time peeps.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 06:32 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

I used a sissor jack under the drain plug, using a length of 2x4 to spread the load. Other ways I think I've seen using axle stands are to turn the footpegs upside down, so they don't fold up, and place the axle stands under them.
Or maybe a rod into the swingarm pivot, but one side is quite narrow

When I did my front end, I cut some 2x4 and cut a half circle and used my crash bungs as the point to support the bike. Used the jack to raise the front enough to get the 2x4 under the crash bung, then lowered the jack.

Stable enough to do the front end
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 07:41 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

ABBA stand, useful for so many things.... front lift accessory so handy.

Pity motorbikes don't seem to get a centre stand any more.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 08:05 PM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Do you think this method is enough to do the job safely?
Yes. I've used this method its perfectly good.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 08:41 PM   #7
GeorgeRYoung

If the tank is full, you may need some weight on the rear to keep it down. I used a couple of car wheels on the seats.
Old 07-04-21, 08:57 AM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I've got one of these that I use for front brake/Front end work and when the bike might be in long storage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycl...IAAOSwetNbK6e-

Not sure if it can be used for Front fork work as I've not had to do that yet but it lifts under the Headstock.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 07-04-21 at 08:59 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 09:45 AM   #9
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I use a headstock paddock stand too. Works perfectly well for dropping the fork legs out although obviously not if you want to take the yokes out as well.
Cheap to buy and readily available from various suppliers.

You will need to put the back end on a paddock stand too as the front one is not stable on it's own.

Last edited by garynortheast; 07-04-21 at 09:46 AM.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 09:48 AM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Still think the best option is an ABBA superbike stand with front lift kit and swingarm removal bobbins. The basic ABBA stand will fit pretty much any bike, if you choose the swing arm removal kit ( about £15 ) you get a pair of bobbins that basically allows the basic stand to fit any bike without having to buy any extra adaptors to fit your new bike model, the swingarm removal bobbins bolt onto footrest hangers, and can be left on the bike all the time. Instead of removing bits of bodywork on my AL7 to get the adaptors into the swingarm spindle I just use the bobbins for everything and the adaptors stay in a plastic bag on the garage wall....

The ABBA stand is an investment really, and allows bike to be stored over winter with wheels off the floor as well as being able to easily remove forks and swingarm. Basic stand with adaptors for SV is about £102, lift arm ( £45 ) and bobbins ( £15 ) it is really pretty good value.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote