SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-04-08, 09:34 PM   #1
scottjames

Default Clutch cover.

(Curvey)

Does any ones curvey clutch cover not leak? Seems to be every Curvey sv owner i met seems to say mine does that or if they did have one they say that theirs did used to do that.

more to the point mine does leak, i have a what i can describe as a snot dribble running down the side. My shop have replaced the o ring on saturday, picked it up yest and by time i got home it was leaking gain. went bk to the shop to day they are going to get me new cover.

does any one have any ways of stopping it, i know its not major but i just dont want it.

sorry for long post, thanks in advance scott.
Old 15-04-08, 09:50 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch cover.

Two issues seem to cause this, one is duff o-rings being re-used, the other is that people overtighten the bolts holding the clutch cover on. It's made of plastic rather than metal so can become distorted if this happens. Once it's distorted it won't seal.
Old 15-04-08, 09:59 PM   #3
scottjames

this is what they told me, they said that suzuki had pretty rough orings at first and then they introduced a better one once the last batch had gone. soposidly they have fitted this better o ring but its still not working. they are getting me another cover to try. Im not paying for it at the moment as the bike has only been in my posession for 3 months and still under their warrenty.

ive seen the mini twns have ali ones with crash bungs one do you think this would be better?

Old 15-04-08, 10:29 PM   #4
ejohnh

My 2003 registered KI doesn't leak from anywhere.
Old 15-04-08, 10:39 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Mine doesn't, but it has done... I used a very tiny amount of universal blue sealant last time I fitted it and that's been flawless. Not that it should be needed but it works for me so I've never looked any further. I've heard of people sanding the cover down to stop the leaks... Just slightly obviously!
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-08, 09:21 AM   #6
petevtwin650

Never, on both of mine, although I've only taken the cover off of one. Surely it only ever needs to come off when your changing the clutch and that's usually 50k plus isn't it?
Old 16-04-08, 09:58 AM   #7
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh View Post
My 2003 registered KI doesn't leak from anywhere.
Thats cos it ain't got the seperate plastic clutch cover!

I have seen a few early Curvys with the later Curvy side cover on, fitted by dealers.
Old 16-04-08, 10:51 AM   #8
BigBaddad

Mine leaked for some time.....and with a new O ring costing something like £30 (yes really). I took off the cover cleaned the old O ring and all the mating faces and smeared everything with a thin layer of a liquid gasket compond.....no more leaks.
Old 16-04-08, 11:30 AM   #9
scottjames

cheers guys, ill let my dealer do their thing. as i said im not paying for this atm as its still under their warenty. ill see what this new cver is like maybe they will fit a slightly newer model.

As for the o ring as 30 that is rele expensive, the one they have supplied me this time was bout £11 but cost me nothing. If it stil leaks after this new cover ill try some sort sealent.

cheers gain