SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-03-21, 06:46 PM   #1
daktulos

Default Navigation options

I used to have my phone mounted on my bike for sat-nav, mostly using Waze for commuting as I knew several routes, but Waze picked the quickest. I'd rely on voice instructions, with an occasional glance at the map to check details.

Since changing bikes, I don't want to mount my phone (for a number of reasons) and have been trying to get places using voice only. Some apps have been complete nightmares, but I found Calimoto and Waze to work OK - but both suffer at times, particularly with questionable roundabout exit counts, etc.

I'm not commuting any more (and may not in the future) so speed isn't so crucial, and I'm out exploring more, but still like to know how to get to somewhere unknown without memorising the entire map.

So, I was seriously considering a Beeline Moto, which is a little round display with little more than an arrow on it. Completely the opposite of voice-only (no voice instructions at all) but small and simple. It also has a compass mode, which I think I'd enjoy using.

Has anyone here used one? My biggest concern would be how readable it is, but I'd really appreciate knowing how well it works, if anyone uses one. (Not that I'm actually allowed out at the moment, but I can dream!)
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 07:01 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Navigation options

I know someone with one who rates it, but for me the problem is the small display can only show limited info - so at a busy roundabout with lots of junctions it may not be clear to see where to go. Or in certain sun light (or lack of) its going to be difficult to see the display. It also uses the location info from the phone (from phone signal, not the GPS sensor) - so if you lose signal it won't be as accurate as a stand alone GPS unit, especially if you are somewhere with little/no signal, or lack of data signal. On top of this, its battery powered.....so you have to remember to charge it. And the battery life will vary on if you are using it to navigate, or only as a compass.

If there was a cost saving, i'd say the negatives outweigh the costs (if it was circa £100). But they start at £150, and you'll get a decent 2nd hand 'proper; sat nav on ebay for that. Which you can hardwire in (no charging to consider), set your own routes (fastest, mixed, bike friendly), download your own routes to, use just as a compass etc.
I use mine for getting me places and picking a route, far easier than faffing about trying to create one on an app or my laptop to send to the sat nav. And i can change my mind en-route to say take me the fastest way, instead of the twisty route.

BMW F800ST

Last edited by DJ123; 02-03-21 at 07:02 PM.
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 08:16 PM   #3
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Royal Jordanian on youtube got one of those a while ago. Watching his video I didn't think it looked intuitive at all. The direction the arrow was pointing could have been interpreted a couple of ways. I don't like the idea of having to look down at it all the time either
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 04:25 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

cheap garmin, screwdriver, silicone and window film

its what i have used for years and years.

i personally hate voice prompts. a quick glance is all that is needed. its like looking in your mirror or at your speedo. in fact you dont need to look at your speedo with a proper sat nav as its on there. along with direction arrows, roundabout exit lanes, MW slip roads, countdown yds for turns etc.etc

ok so the proper mounts might coast you the same as your satnav but i think its worth it to have something that works.

you can also plan routes before hand using your PC then pop them into the satnav.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 08:27 AM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

You can have my old Garmin motorcycle satnav for free

Includes a strap on holder, but not the bike charging dock, it has a usb charger

Just pay me the postage
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 09:54 AM   #6
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
You can have my old Garmin motorcycle satnav for free

Includes a strap on holder, but not the bike charging dock, it has a usb charger

Just pay me the postage
Thanks for the offer (and thanks for everyone's opinions), but I'm trying to get away from a traditional sat-nav.

When I started riding, I didn't have a sat-nav, and just memorised routes in advance and had a rough map in my head. Since relying on sat-navs more (in car and on bike) I have found I don't have nearly as good internal map - if you don't need to know where you are, you won't bother. There are villages just a few miles from where I live which I probably couldn't place now.

When I go out without sat-nav on, it's definitely more enjoyable, but if I'm going somewhere I don't know I'll have to stop and check the map after a while.

With the Beeline, it has a compass mode where it just shows the direction and distance to the destination, leaving the route up to you. I'm hoping it'll bring back some of the enjoyment of exploration while giving some confidence that I'm going roughly the right way.

I guess the other option would be to try to disconnect completely and see if my mind's still up to the job.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 10:09 AM   #7
DJ123
Mega Poster

You can do that on a sat nav too - called off road routing, which draws a straight line from your location to the destination.
Leaving you to decide where you want to go, whilst heading towards your ultimate destination.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 01:31 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

leave the spaznav off to go exploring then turn on and hit the home button. i really could not go out without mine but i do plan routes in advance.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 08:45 AM   #9
gadget

I hate voices in my head while riding, but that's another matter!! Haha. I bought a Beeline moto a while back after watching / reading all the reviews and tbh... it does exactly what I need it to do, excellent bit of kit, it seems to adapt very quickly to turns/ roundabouts etc where most navs I've used seem a bit slow to react ( or perhaps I ride a bit too quick for it). I like the option of direct sat nav as per usual navs or pointing you in the general direction to let you discover new roads/routes. Nice clear easy to read display that adapts to light conditions so always stays clear.
I have mine clipped to the top/inside of my svs screen, so not distracting but easy to see/read at a glance.
Excellent battery life, easy to clip on and remove too can't rate it highly enough, bit pricey but imo... well worth it.
Only wish they were paying me to write this!
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 10:16 AM   #10
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I've used my car TomTom in a waterproof holder for years. I wasn't going to buy a second device specifically for the bike. It works fine except the display is hard to read in bright sunlight. I've been looking at the Beeline item too as it's compactness is impressive. It also works pretty much how I use the TomTom, ie I'm only interested in the distance to the next junction and what direction I need to go in. Maybe if the TomTom dies I'll invest in one.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk