SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-03-21, 07:27 PM   #1
Tigerrrr.......

Default Washing my car and bike - am I doing it right?

It was always a pain when washing the car to hose off the suds. Took ages. So for the last 20 years I've poured the car shampoo into the full bucket of water and given a very gentle stir. I've then used a cloth to wash the car, keeping the suds to a minimum. It was then easy to rinse off.

However....been watching various YouTube videos about washing cars and what products to use, and almost all of them do the opposite to me. They froth the bucket to get maximum suds, wash the car then leave the suds on to work their magic before hosing off. By that time most of the bubbles have burst anyway.

Have I been doing it wrong all these years? Is there a right and wrong way to wash your car/bike?

Opinions, please...

Thanks.
Old 19-03-21, 07:50 PM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Washing my car and bike - am I doing it right?

I wasn't aware that the suds did anything, I thought it was the detergent part of the shampoo that helped release the dirt and cut the grease. We always associate suds with being cleaner but it just means the water/shampoo mix has been agitated more (imho)
In a warm climate, leaving the suds on means you'll get soap smears.

I see nothing wrong with your technique and if it gets your vehicle clean and you're happy, who cares?

On a slightly related note - the foaming agent (surfactant) they put in hair and body shampoo, some toothpastes etc (possibly car shampoo - I've never checked) is Sodium Lauryl Sulphate and was originally intended to get grease off driveways and it's a skin irritant.
Old 19-03-21, 07:51 PM   #3
gadget

The bubbles aren't the issue here, in fact... mix/stir the wash n wax well before use, use lukewarm water, not hot, pre-rinse the car first, get rid of all the dirt n dust with high pressure washer, the less you physically touch the car the better. When thorough pre-wash (rinse) is done leaving the car wet ... commence washing with the lukewarm wash and wax, do a panel or two at a time then rinse off and then start with another panel or two.
The important part is ... don't let the suds dry before rinsing (hence... doing a couple of panels at a time).
When all panels are done, rinse whole car and leather off.
Same procedure for a bike but not using high pressure washer. Also . Never wash the car/bike in direct sunlight, it plays havoc with drying times and almost always leaves behind residue from whatever brand of wash n wax you use.
This method works best for me and is by no means the definitive guide.
Health and safety rules apply here too, never wash your vehicle wearing only slippers and speedos!!

Last edited by gadget; 19-03-21 at 07:53 PM.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-21, 08:23 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

My washing strategy is something like:
-Always rinse your vehicle off before washing it to remove any loose dirt and debris first.
-Use snowfoam if you have a pressure washer to further aid this process and reduce any damage from a contact wash.
- Apply/spray an APC (all purpose cleaner to areas with stubborn dirt to help removal) leave this a few mintues to work prior to using a wash mitt
- Use wash mitt (and either the 2 bucket method, or 1 bucket with a grit guard) to wash vehicle top to bottom - swapping mitts from the top half to the lower dirty half (sills and lower bumpers, and another sponge/brushes for the wheels)
- rinse after washing
- dry
- apply any products to seal the paintwork

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-21, 09:33 PM   #5
redtrummy

If you have done it your way for 20 yrs and been happy with the results then carry on regardless!

I wet our vehicles to get the worse of the muck off and loosen the stuck on stuff, then basically do what you do. I worked for BT, the vans only ever got a wash and were got rid about 5 years and they looked fine so I am not sure if the wax makes much difference(being a cynical old sod) but I still use it - although its a quick wash with wax now
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-21, 11:35 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

whats this washing a vehicle thing you speak of?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-21, 12:13 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

FWIW .......
I agree with the comments above. The only bit which does anything is what is in contact with the vehicle/dirt, the foamy bubbles are just for show.

After reading stuff many years ago I switched from using any sort of sponge to a soft brush. Sponges have a very high risk of scratching the paint with dirt.
I picked up a "MucOff" brush which is very good, a soft bristle in a rubber body so fairly paintwork safe. Recommended. Mine is the predecessor of this, haven't seen the new one https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/102003

I've been using Autoglym products for years, other good stuff is available. Usually get the bodywork shampoo in 2.5L for cost effectiveness, ebay/amazon etc. or even Halfrauds isn't much more expensive. There may well be fake stuff about so probably worth paying a couple of quid extra for certainty it's genuine.
Old 22-03-21, 08:46 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerrrr....... View Post
It was always a pain when washing the car to hose off the suds. Took ages. So for the last 20 years I've poured the car shampoo into the full bucket of water and given a very gentle stir. I've then used a cloth to wash the car, keeping the suds to a minimum. It was then easy to rinse off.

However....been watching various YouTube videos about washing cars and what products to use, and almost all of them do the opposite to me. They froth the bucket to get maximum suds, wash the car then leave the suds on to work their magic before hosing off. By that time most of the bubbles have burst anyway.

Have I been doing it wrong all these years? Is there a right and wrong way to wash your car/bike?

Opinions, please...

Thanks.
I'm not really the most qualified on this subject but I'm alway paranoid about detergents displacing my precious grease. I think in terms of cleaning allowing maximum suddage (solution with soap) to coat the vehicle and to be left to penetrate (so both methods above would do that, bubbles don't mean a lot). I tend to use a dry polish/soap on bike plastics which you buff/sponge off with water. Anywhere that shouldn't be greasy/is prone to attracting grit to excess grease I use a degreaser in a can/squirt bottle to get that specific area.

I'm definitely function over form though so will look nowhere near as good as what others do...on the occasion I do it

I'm not sure I've ever washed a car since I was a child and was hussling for my bike fund
Old 23-03-21, 04:05 PM   #9
redtrummy

An interesting point re bubbles/froth, we have just trialled 'teeth tabs' - basically a tablet you chew and then use a toothbrush ( instead of using toothpaste) there is no froth at all. Consulted with our dentist and he said foam and froth are just added for the consumer feel good factor and serves no useful purpose all marketing ploys.
(We are trying to avoid unnecessary plastic waste, hence the switch)
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-21, 06:16 PM   #10
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
whats this washing a vehicle thing you speak of?

LMAO!

Just washed my bikes. Car has not been touched since July 2020. My priorities are different. Beloved bikes get VIP treatment, car (or Urban Misery Wagon as it is known) gets little.
I have used clean water from the water butt (hard water area) and it needed no wipe down after rinsing as the rainwater is relatively free of dissolved stuff. Plus I appear to have plenty of it at the moment with little other use.