SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-04-21, 10:00 AM   #1
daktulos

Default Youtube nutters

On another forum I visit, a user proudly posted a video of his first ride of the year. I didn't watch it all, but saw 60mph in a 30, and 112 in a 60, and generally not very good road etiquette. In previous videos, he's drifted over solid white lines and barely missed cars.

I genuinely think it's unacceptable, and even considered reporting it to the police (you can't without the number plate anyway). I'm not one to get into an argument on a forum, but it ****es me off when all they get is positive reinforcement.

Should I just leave it be? I know we all break the law occasionally, but this is triggering me for some reason. What would you do?

Thanks.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 10:09 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Youtube nutters

It's annoying because we all get tarred with the same brush. What were the comments from the forum where it was posted?
Old 02-04-21, 10:52 AM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Personally I think what a tit. 60 in a 30 is disgusting but then you go on to say 112 in a 60 which I feel less strongly about on the face of it - every one has their own rulebook I'm afraid. And for that reason (unless you've never broken the highway code) , despite this guy being a massive tool, reporting to the police doesn't sit well with me.
I've not seen the riding, if he's a clear danger than there's a big * there and it's a bit of a dilemma - the other thing to take into account is he's the one posting the videos, which I think gives more licence to pass on to the police; what I don't agree with is the surveillance state people videoing someone unaware/having a bad day/made a mistake then passing it on to ruin their life,as if the videographer's never done anything daft.

Last edited by Dave20046; 02-04-21 at 11:22 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 11:52 AM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
On another forum I visit, a user proudly posted a video of his first ride of the year. I didn't watch it all, but saw 60mph in a 30, and 112 in a 60, and generally not very good road etiquette. In previous videos, he's drifted over solid white lines and barely missed cars.

I genuinely think it's unacceptable, and even considered reporting it to the police (you can't without the number plate anyway). I'm not one to get into an argument on a forum, but it ****es me off when all they get is positive reinforcement.

Should I just leave it be? I know we all break the law occasionally, but this is triggering me for some reason. What would you do?

Thanks.
I think the main consideration is what would it change if you did report it? Does he ride like this all the time, or only on video? If he was reprimanded would he change his riding, or simply not film the dangerous parts?

You can report it without the number plate and they can create a court case.
A YouTuber (Joe Achilles) who drives, generally, very well and safely on his videos. He posted a drive of an R8 in the Dales (i think it was). No speedo was visible (external shot), and the driving was spirited - but not dangerous. Someone in the establishment watched it and went after him - measured the distance between points to gauge speed, questioning the video evidence, driving standard etc (essentially finding something to stick) and it went to court. Cost him (Joe) over 10K to defend as he needed a Law/court recognised video professional to go over the video too.

https://www.derbyshire.police.uk/new...d-to-facebook/

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 12:03 PM   #5
daktulos

Thanks, I'm not going to report it, and I probably won't even comment on it as I don't want to get into an argument. It just annoys me, and feel like something should be said as to me it is dangerous - but as Dave20046 said, maybe to him it's not.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 12:58 PM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Like I said I’ve not seen the video . But 100mph in isolation doesn’t necessarily mean certain death - 60mph in road deemed 30mph almost certainly does mean danger for someone . I’ve ridden with a lot of people and did advanced rider training and police bikesafe- I mix a collection of that experience into what I personally deem acceptable. For instance (since we’re talking about the law ) the police rider leading the training told me “NSL stands for no speed limit” and as soon as you pass that black and white sign I expect you to crack on. (My car IAM was the same but a bit more reserved ). Generally I like to ride with people who respect 30s & 40s and I observe often these riders will break a 50 a little where safe and 60 - personally I’m not offended by that but I appreciate everyone had their own personal ‘rules’ (despite us all literally having a common rule book!)

On this I think back to my view on a forummer I’ve ridden with, bloody good bloke, indisputably very nice and a safe rider but I’ve also see him break the law . I recall he posted a video of him in his cage, what was apparent from the video was there was a lot of empty space on the left (obviously there are two sides to everything) I felt he’d potentially lingered in the middle lane too long/ too early ... a bike passed him on the inside which personally if it happened to me I’d be questioning my own driving or if confident I was right I’d think ‘careful mate but it’s your life/a bit naughty’ - nope this chap posted the guys reg and called for it to go viral/ to the police if I remember rightly . I found it a little hypocritical in the first instance but and a bit unfair for the rider .

Basically like anything in life if you have your own set of rules and you expect others to abide by them you’ll be bitterly disappointed (unless you abide by the Highway Code with no exceptions!) generally it’s about compromise - how far out from your expectations (and the majority’s) this rider was. But also with the exception that if they’re an imminent danger it might be worth doing something !
Just my opinion ..

Last edited by Dave20046; 02-04-21 at 01:00 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 01:11 PM   #7
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I’m focussing more on the reporting there , obviously if you don’t think it’s on you’re within your rights to voice it , especially if you think the guy will be toast soon . Others will likely agree by the sounds of it and if it causes the guy to think it’s not a bad thing - even if he ultimately decides you’re wrong. How he communicates that will be telling of how much of a knob he is!
Old 02-04-21, 01:32 PM   #8
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Like I said I’ve not seen the video . But 100mph in isolation doesn’t necessarily mean certain death - 60mph in road deemed 30mph almost certainly does mean danger for someone . I’ve ridden with a lot of people and did advanced rider training and police bikesafe- I mix a collection of that experience into what I personally deem acceptable. For instance (since we’re talking about the law ) the police rider leading the training told me “NSL stands for no speed limit” and as soon as you pass that black and white sign I expect you to crack on. (My car IAM was the same but a bit more reserved ). Generally I like to ride with people who respect 30s & 40s and I observe often these riders will break a 50 a little where safe and 60 - personally I’m not offended by that but I appreciate everyone had their own personal ‘rules’ (despite us all literally having a common rule book!)

Basically like anything in life if you have your own set of rules and you expect others to abide by them you’ll be bitterly disappointed (unless you abide by the Highway Code with no exceptions!)
Completely agree - especially on the speed limits. Knowing which ones are safe to exceed by a safe amount, and those you should respect more so due to the hazards in those areas generally.

There are times and a place where 'speed' can be done safely. And on that same road at a different time it would be a different kettle of fish.
I ride a lot through Hamlets/small villages in the countryside where it's a 30mph road, and sometimes between houses you'll have half a mile or more of empty road with no junctions and good visibility. At quieter times of the day (early mornings) i exploit this a bit more than when i'm riding down there at a more sociable hour, when there is more likely to be walkers/hikers/cyclists/traffic etc.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 05:28 PM   #9
gadget

Sad to say but things like that have a way (albeit unfortunately) of sorting out the chancers from the responsible riders.
I wouldn't ever wish a fellow biker any harm no matter what but at some point their irresponsible actions WILL have severe consequences.
A young lad I heard about recently who rides a gsxr600, only a provisional licence, (so.. in effect has no insurance) has just had a pretty bad accident, he was doing 80mph in a 30 zone, hit a car coming out of a side road, totalled his bike and the car, car driver has serious injuries, the biker has broken both legs, left arm, right ankle, right collar bone, ruptured spleen and severe concussion.
And to top all of that ... the car driver is suing him for everything he's got and everything he's going to have!
My first reaction to this news was ... what a total t#@t, but at the same time ... I wished him a good recovery and hopefully he'll learn from that experience and become a responsible biker.... assuming he'll ever be able to throw a leg over a bike again.
A clear case of Karma. Unfortunate... yes but if you ride like a t#@t... at some point you will regret it.

Last edited by gadget; 02-04-21 at 05:31 PM.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 05:52 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Anyone remember the "Mad Count" videos?
Not worth getting wound up about really. That way leads to madness.