SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-04-21, 09:48 AM   #11
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy jacking point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I use a headstock paddock stand too. Works perfectly well for dropping the fork legs out although obviously not if you want to take the yokes out as well.
Cheap to buy and readily available from various suppliers.

You will need to put the back end on a paddock stand too as the front one is not stable on it's own.
Thank you for confirming this and the added tip/s
Old 07-04-21, 04:10 PM   #12
redtrummy

I built a H frame and put straps between the handle bars and cross piece

Must admit the top of the h frame I secured to the garage roof joists - if you have nothing to replicate that then this method is obviously a non starter. I used a car jack under the engine to lift the front end up.
It was 100% stable.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 05:39 PM   #13
gadget

Cheers everyone for your ideas and suggestions, very much appreciated
for sure, been giving it lots of thought and think I have it sorted now.
I've managed to cannibalise a redundant exercise bike for the base which will operate pretty much the same way an Abba stand works only using the hollow under engine casing tube for the support pin to locate to.
The icing on the cake is that with all the metal parts I have I can almost completely fabricate the stand using m8 bolts and nylocs, no need for any kind of welding.
Just need to do some careful/accurate measuring for front wheel ground clearance when the contraption is fitted, once the front is jacked up I can do the measuring for height needed once supported by the new stand.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 09:58 PM   #14
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Still think the best option is an ABBA superbike stand with front lift kit and swingarm removal bobbins. The basic ABBA stand will fit pretty much any bike, if you choose the swing arm removal kit ( about £15 ) you get a pair of bobbins that basically allows the basic stand to fit any bike without having to buy any extra adaptors to fit your new bike model, the swingarm removal bobbins bolt onto footrest hangers, and can be left on the bike all the time. Instead of removing bits of bodywork on my AL7 to get the adaptors into the swingarm spindle I just use the bobbins for everything and the adaptors stay in a plastic bag on the garage wall....

The ABBA stand is an investment really, and allows bike to be stored over winter with wheels off the floor as well as being able to easily remove forks and swingarm. Basic stand with adaptors for SV is about £102, lift arm ( £45 ) and bobbins ( £15 ) it is really pretty good value.
I wasn't aware of the swingarm removal bobbins option, will look into that. I find removing panels to fit the adaptors on my 2020 sv650A a bit of a drag.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 10:01 PM   #15
svenrico

Quote:
ABBA stand, useful for so many things.... front lift accessory so handy.

Pity motorbikes don't seem to get a centre stand any more.
I'll second that. Centre stands should be regarded as the norm by manufacturers and not an optional extra ( not even possible on sv650a bikes of course )
Old 07-04-21, 10:23 PM   #16
svenrico

'Can I use this kit all the time instead of using the abba Superbike Stand on the swing arm pivot?
In theory yes, however we recommend this kit is only used for when you need to remove the Swing-Arm. Although this kit is still stable and secure, using the Superbike Stand on the Swing-Arm pivot with the correct fitting kit is a far better solution for constant use. Using this kit would also be much slower as you would have to fit and remove the kit each time you use the stand.' - Excerpt from Abba Stand website FAQ's. Not too sure how this works - why not leave kit on as SV650rules suggests ?! ( presume bobbins don't interfere with rear brake and gear lever operation ! )
Old 08-04-21, 04:44 PM   #17
svenrico

Quote:
Still think the best option is an ABBA superbike stand with front lift kit and swingarm removal bobbins. The basic ABBA stand will fit pretty much any bike, if you choose the swing arm removal kit ( about £15 ) you get a pair of bobbins that basically allows the basic stand to fit any bike without having to buy any extra adaptors to fit your new bike model, the swingarm removal bobbins bolt onto footrest hangers, and can be left on the bike all the time. Instead of removing bits of bodywork on my AL7 to get the adaptors into the swingarm spindle I just use the bobbins for everything and the adaptors stay in a plastic bag on the garage wall....
I like your idea , can you think why Abba say these bobbins have to be fitted and removed each time you use the stand ,instead of leaving on the bike as you say ?

Last edited by svenrico; 08-04-21 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-04-21, 12:42 PM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I like your idea , can you think why Abba say these bobbins have to be fitted and removed each time you use the stand ,instead of leaving on the bike as you say ?
No idea, I have been riding my AL7 for about 3 years with them fitted permanently, and they do not interfere with anything, and the bike has been up in the air, both wheels off the ground for 3 winters - the bobbins are supplied with M8 bolts long enough to bolt through front footrest hangers, no need to take hangers off as the boss on the bobbin fits inside the counterbore on hanger that normally seats the allen bolt head. It is so useful to just be able to use the ABBA without taking 4 allen screws out and bits of plastic off the bike. Makes it almost as easy to use as a paddock stand, but it lifts the whole bike, and if you have the front lift arm it enables you to take either or both wheels out, take forks apart, mess with swingarm, lube the chain etc.... The only reason I can think of for ABBA advising not to use the bobbins all the time is that they would sell very few of their 'bike specific adapters' that have to fit different swingarm pivots as the bobbins will fit any bike with M8 bolts in footrest hangers.

The bobbins slip into the two 'cups' on the end of the basic ABBA stand, so the normal bike specific adapters that fit into same cups no longer needed.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 09-04-21 at 12:48 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 09:39 PM   #19
svenrico

Quote:
No idea, I have been riding my AL7 for about 3 years with them fitted permanently, and they do not interfere with anything, and the bike has been up in the air, both wheels off the ground for 3 winters - the bobbins are supplied with M8 bolts long enough to bolt through front footrest hangers, no need to take hangers off as the boss on the bobbin fits inside the counterbore on hanger that normally seats the allen bolt head. It is so useful to just be able to use the ABBA without taking 4 allen screws out and bits of plastic off the bike. Makes it almost as easy to use as a paddock stand, but it lifts the whole bike, and if you have the front lift arm it enables you to take either or both wheels out, take forks apart, mess with swingarm, lube the chain etc.... The only reason I can think of for ABBA advising not to use the bobbins all the time is that they would sell very few of their 'bike specific adapters' that have to fit different swingarm pivots as the bobbins will fit any bike with M8 bolts in footrest hangers.
The bobbins slip into the two 'cups' on the end of the basic ABBA stand, so the normal bike specific adapters that fit into same cups no longer needed.
Thanks. This is the reply I received from Abba which sounds reasonable - Quote
' In most cases we would recommend that the SARK is fitted to the frame lug
itself & not the outside of the hanger (although this is possible in some
cases) obviously if the hanger is removed they cannot be left this way.
The SARK fittings also stick out so may hinder foot movement when riding.
For routine use we would always recommend using the swing-arm adapter kit on
the bike & not the swing-arm removal kit. The swing-arm removal kit is
primarily for just that job - removing the swing-arm.
Those are our recommendations, obviously your are free to follow them or not
at your own discretion/risk.' End of quote.
So up to me I reckon. One thing that did occur to me was can the bobbins be tightened up adequately on the outside of the hanger ?
Old 10-04-21, 01:44 PM   #20
SV650rules
Mega Poster

All I can say is I have never had a problem - and bobbins do not get in the way of anything, also much easier to locate the stand on the bobbins.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote