SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-04-21, 04:50 PM   #1
Spiral

Default Wheel Refurb Paint ?

The wheels on my SV are frankly an embarrassment, they need a coat of paint & I have to take them off to fit the wavy discs I've bought & do a fork rebuild anyway.

The bike is a curvy naked in yellow & I fancy a darker grey than the standard silver, more like an anthracite grey.

Has anyone tried the car wheel paints in spraycans on amazon (and the like), are they any good, & do they need an etch primer or will just a clean & degrease be sufficient ?
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 06:40 PM   #2
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Wheel Refurb Paint ?

I’ve used Simoniz wheel silver which is ok but I’ve also used Halfords own rattle cans on loads of stuff, including wheels, to good effect. I’ve used them along with their grey primer and gloss lacquer but not etch primer.

Huge range of colours if you wanted to go down that route.

I just degrease and then sand with wet n dry to give a key. Worth taking your time and overdoing this stage.

Paint on a warm dry day if you can. If not, I’ll do it indoors with an oil-filled rad to provide heat. Avoid humidity though.

Heat the paint cans in a bucket of hot water. Shake the cans for at least 3 minutes and then spray light coats.

Don’t be tempted to try and cover everything in one pass or you’ll lay on too much and get runs in the paint.

Let it dry before you do another coat.

If you take your time you can get long-lasting results from cans. Easy to touch up too if it does get a ding.

On the other hand, powder coating is surprisingly cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 07:50 PM   #3
Spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
I’ve used Simoniz wheel silver which is ok but I’ve also used Halfords own rattle cans on loads of stuff, including wheels, to good effect. I’ve used them along with their grey primer and gloss lacquer but not etch primer.

Huge range of colours if you wanted to go down that route.

I just degrease and then sand with wet n dry to give a key. Worth taking your time and overdoing this stage.

Paint on a warm dry day if you can. If not, I’ll do it indoors with an oil-filled rad to provide heat. Avoid humidity though.

Heat the paint cans in a bucket of hot water. Shake the cans for at least 3 minutes and then spray light coats.

Don’t be tempted to try and cover everything in one pass or you’ll lay on too much and get runs in the paint.

Let it dry before you do another coat.

If you take your time you can get long-lasting results from cans. Easy to touch up too if it does get a ding.

On the other hand, powder coating is surprisingly cheap.

Thanks for the input,was the simoniz wheel paint for alloy wheels ?
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 12:10 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

If you rub down to show any bare alum you'll benefit a lot from a thin base coat of etch primer. The paint on my curvy wheels is pretty soft and thin. I'd give it a coat of etch primer anyway personally.
I've used the Simoniz silver wheel aerosol (got from https://www.eurocarparts.com/ ) on other things but not wheels (ironically). IIRC it's quite "sparkly" silver, needs a lacquer to look proper. I've used various U-pol aerosols (from same place) and they are pretty good IME.

If getting anything from Eurocarparts remember to order online and apply whatever discount code is going at the time, it varies almost daily sometimes.
Old 08-04-21, 03:00 PM   #5
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I used special metals primer for aluminium, for my front wheel and then did five coats of silver from a rattle can. I sealed it (along with my love heart stickers!) all in with five layers of glass coat. It took hours of prep and then lots of sanding and it looked great for about a year. After four years, it looks chipped, battered and ready to paint again. However, given that it costs over a hundred pounds per wheel at my local powder coater (who I suspect is a rip off!) thirty quid on a four year spray job is worth the effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 09:31 PM   #6
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
Thanks for the input,was the simoniz wheel paint for alloy wheels ?

It was yeah. As Embee says it is quite bright and sparkly.

It’s actually a good match for other bike stuff like Pointy swingarms. I used it on the Yokes and the bottom of the forks on my old 90’s Blade and they looked pretty factory.

TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote