SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-02-11, 05:36 AM   #1
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default attempted theft...

well last night the poor little S4 suffered a bit of abuse, parked it up opposite the restaurant we were having the belated Soho Christmas do, and walked down to the meeting place at a pub just down the road, about 40 minutes later we all came back up to go in and I noticed it wasn't where I'd left it.
I phoned the police to report the theft, obviously well p*ssed off, had a fag and walked to the corner of the road to see the bike on it's side some 50yrds away, I went to the bike and straight lifted it up ( immense annoyed frustration allows you to do that kind of thing), a guy leaned out of a flat window and said he'd heard the alarm going off and seen three "youths" drop it and run off, I phone the police to inform them I'd found it (got the impression they had just recorded the detail and showed no other interest).

I wheeled it back under a streetlight, to see the damage, by the looks of things they had kicked the handlebars to break the steering lock, then used a lever of some kind to lever out the barrel, and then tore the wires from it, but the immobilizer had prevented them getting it started.

I spent the next half hour re-wiring the ignition with a multitool and some insulating tape, finally got it started, cable tied it all up so at least I could get home on it.

Damage I know of so far is a busted ignition barrel, damaged top yoke, ignition wiring, bent handlebars, smashed LH switchgear,wires torn from the LH heated grip, barend, grazzed side panel and topbox, I haven't yet seen it in daylight though.

silver lining I suppose; at least it ran well on the way back so I doubt anything major is wrong with it.

It did somewhat dampen my evening though....
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-11, 05:58 AM   #2
instigator

Default Re: attempted theft...

Glad to hear it's still in your posession but sorry to hear of the damage.

I don't know how these youths do it....It took me 30 minutes to open my tank lock with a screwdriver and hammer and that was the first time I had done such a thing....god knows how many times those little b*stards have practised their technique.
Old 19-02-11, 06:03 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Yeah they seemed to have the technique down pat, according to one of the guys who works local they are from the big estate just across the road, I know it sounds daft, but I wish they had either taken it or left it alone.

I can probably fix most of it fairly cheaply myself, but it'd normally be at least a couple of hundred quids worth.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-11, 08:21 AM   #4
steveg

Sorry to hear this , after a recent theft attempt I know how pee'd off you are

Cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-11, 08:31 AM   #5
keith_d
Mega Poster

That's all fairly c**p. Judging by the lack of reaction by the locals and the police it's a pretty regular thing round there.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-11, 08:42 AM   #6
Icanopit

Sorry to hear Mark, as you say it's the personal insult that hurts, yes it's only a machine but it's MINE.

Take care, JOHN
Old 19-02-11, 08:50 AM   #7
tom-k6

you should be allowed to go around to their home, providing the police did their job and find the cheeky lil s**ts for criminal damage and you should break they fingers and ankles =]
Old 19-02-11, 09:27 AM   #8
timwilky
Mega Poster

seen hands of thief being broken. The way it was done with a kerb and lump hammer certainly makes me think he would never grip a bar again. Just desserts, instance justice and bike stolen 10 mins earlier recovered.

However in a civilised society vigilante justice is inappropriate. Therefore convicted thieves fathers should be publicly castrated for breeding.

Mark, what a p1sser. Not worth a claim, but you are out of pockets. I doubt there is a ready source of "second use" parts. Gits!
Old 19-02-11, 09:28 AM   #9
Specialone

That sucks mate, hope it ain't too bad and hope the little scrotes get huge painful warts on their wongas so they can't walk.

I would love to catch one doing this, they deserve a bout of correctional punishment.
Old 19-02-11, 09:32 AM   #10
Geodude
Mega Poster

Sorry to hear about the theft attempt and hope you get it sorted and theres not to much damage in daylight. Were there any cameras around the area that might have caught somthing? These people and i use the term loosely need to learn respect.

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote