SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 30-10-18, 06:52 AM   #11
Kenzie

Default Re: Suzuki X5 long term project

This is awesome. Makes me want to get a bike project, even though I have a T2 VW to do!
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-18, 07:22 AM   #12
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
This is awesome. Makes me want to get a bike project, even though I have a T2 VW to do!
Get it done & post it up here

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-18, 09:55 AM   #13
Craig380
Mega Poster

Oh wow, that's looking great. I had a W-reg X5 in the same blue colour scheme when I was 18 (because of the cheaper sub-200cc insurance). They were FAST too, because they were so light. After I fitted Michelin M38s it never ran out of grip, it was the only bike I've had that felt comfortable scraping the footrests and the toes of my DM boots
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-18, 03:30 PM   #14
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Lovely job.
Old 30-10-18, 07:23 PM   #15
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Sounds great already. And I love that the engine roundels are the same as those that were on my 83 GSX250EZ. Ah memories.
Old 30-10-18, 07:40 PM   #16
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Makes me nostalgic for my CB250rsd project that I never quite saw through before realising I needed to sell it to keep the SV running.

Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-18, 08:15 PM   #17
mister c
Mega Poster

It was at this point that I took 6 months away from work to circumnavigate Britain in our newly aquired 25 year old motorhome. I have reached the grand old age of 55 & could draw some money from my private pension, so myself & my wife decided to do something before we were too old to appreciate the memories.
So, while we were away I though that I'd get the rechroming done. We have a plating company in Crewe, so I took a few items down for them to have a look at & price up.
"It'll take about 12 weeks mate" said the assistant behind the counter.
"That's fine, I'm away for about 6 months" I replied.
The small parts were quite expensive price - wise, but the exhausts nearly made me fall over. They wanted £360 for the silencers & £60 for the downpipes, I told them that I'd leave those for the time being. So, off we went on our travels.
I have been busy looking for a job since I got back, so haven't made a lot of progress on the bike, but did call round to the platers as I hadn't heard from them in 7 months....... Guess what? They hadn't done them The parts had been put on a shelf & forgotten about.
"I'll have them done in a couple of days for you mate". How can they quote 12 weeks originally, then do them in 2 days? I'm still trying to work that one out. They did make a nice job though.

What you are looking at there ladies & gents is £200 worth of chrome plating, scares the living daylights out of me.
It was tme to fit the shiney bits to the bike

Next was the front brake caliper. The piston was solid in the caliper, so I had to heat the caliper & be a little brutal with a pair of waterpump pliers to extract the piston. It did move eventually, so that was one problem solved. I had ordered a caliper rebuild kit which came with new seals & bleed nipple, so tried to remove the nipple, which was seized solid into the caliper, things were a little harder this time because I didn't want to snap the nipple in the caliper as calipers are as rare as rocking horse poo. I used plenty of heat & with some gentle persuation it started to move & after about 15 minutes, the nipple was sat smouldering on the bench. Icleaned & painted the caliper, fitted the new seals & pads & placed it on the bike.

So, this is where I'm up to at present. I still have plenty to do, but I'm back at work full time at the moment as my boss is on holiday. I have won some very rare, nos Allspeed Expansion chambers on good old Ebay, but they are from a Danish seller, so hoping that it isn't a scam. I've paid by Paypal, so should get my money back if it is. Watch this space.

Old 30-10-18, 08:48 PM   #18
Kenzie

Showed this to Mrs Kenzie. She wants a project bike now...
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-18, 09:44 PM   #19
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I think I'll need to come and hear (and smell!) this running when it's finished.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-18, 05:57 AM   #20
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
Showed this to Mrs Kenzie. She wants a project bike now...
Make sure that you have plenty of money. I was expecting to shell out about £1500 plus the price of the bike to get it finished. I'm not far off spending that & still have a few hundred pound to spend. I could probably buy a nice example for the same amount of money, but then wouldn't have the fun (& headaches) of building it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I think I'll need to come and hear (and smell!) this running when it's finished.
Back in 1979 my brother had a new X7 that he fitted expannies to, it sounded awesome. I always wanted some for mine, but couldn't afford, so I'm as excited as you