SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-08-05, 07:59 AM   #21
twotime

I've been on my j2 zx6r for two weeks now and am finding that my concerns about commuting in traffic are unfounded. admittedly you need to get a bit higher up the rev range for the same pulling power that the SV had, but within reason I'm not noticing much difference. It's incredibly easy to ride slowly, really well balanced, and the brakes instill a lot more confidence in me. gear changes are smooth and it dives less under front braking.

there is an issue with it that drives me mad though. I've checked with the mcnninja website and it appears most of them do this..... when the bike is hot, i.e at warmed up running temp if you stop it it's a bitch to start again. A fraction to much throttle and it floods imediately, I've already had the AA out once as I flattened the battery trying to start it..ggrrrr. was a fairly comical moment though, stuck down a back street in London last week with a large bag, looking suspicious hanging aorund, then got a huge backfire trying to start it..cue everybody in the vicinity bricking it big time! sure enough within about 5 mins a cop car rolled past to see what I was up to
Old 04-08-05, 04:50 PM   #22
Warren

on a honda with F1 - if the engine floods, turn the ignition off and leave the throttle open for 5 seconds and it will suck all the fuel out of the engine

nice touch
Old 04-08-05, 07:59 PM   #23
Steve W

Of course, there are exceptions to evry rule... my CB1300 develops lots of torque low down the rev range and its red line is about 8k. I like its smoothness, low down torque and general planted feel - I miss the fun, manouvreability and sound of the SV. Of course, in a perfect world I'd have a garage full of bikes, petrol would be 10p a gallon, ManUtd would be in the Beazer Homes League etc. etc...
Old 04-08-05, 08:48 PM   #24
zx6man

well i like my 4 pot too..lol
Old 04-08-05, 09:22 PM   #25
muddycoffee

My last bike 11 years ago was this GPZ600R :-

now I know it's old by todays standards, but it accelerated in a fantastic way, with it's 4 pots and 16valves. However I found the handling extremely hard to get on with and the SV is a much more chuckable machine, it's lighter in weight than the last few bikes I had.
Old 08-08-05, 06:19 PM   #26
Peter Henry

muddycoffee....around that time I had the awesome big brother to your bike....The ZX1000RX....RAW POWER!
Old 08-08-05, 07:51 PM   #27
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping
Funny that... Stupot and I were discussing IL4's in comparison to V-twins the other day and he says 'Once you've tried an IL4 you never go back...'

Does anyone agree with this statement? I'm not sure myself as I LOVE the V-twin noise and I've not ridden an IL4 since I got my riding confidence.

I am the opposite. I have over the past twenty years, had IL4's 600's and 750's, this is the first time that I have ever ridden a twin, and I won't go back. Absolutely love the twin. HEAPS of fun.
Old 08-08-05, 08:05 PM   #28
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
More potent engine, in what way? If potent means tuned for more top end power then I'm not sure I'll like it.
You might wish to consider a twin .

Old 08-08-05, 08:17 PM   #29
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
More potent engine, in what way? If potent means tuned for more top end power then I'm not sure I'll like it.
You might wish to consider a twin .

Yeah, I'd consider an SV1000, but the tank range would irritate me
Old 08-08-05, 08:23 PM   #30
SVeeedy Gonzales

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
on a honda with F1 - if the engine floods, turn the ignition off and leave the throttle open for 5 seconds and it will suck all the fuel out of the engine

nice touch
Just on Hondas? That is nice - you'd have thought they'd all have something like that. Bet my SV doesn't have that Remember my Yamaha Sr125 always dying when it got hot and had been turned off, and needing a push start (fun at petrol stations!) Turned out to be a faulty regulator/rectifier though.