SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-06-11, 07:04 AM   #21
TazDaz

Default Re: Restricted Sv650 to restricted Gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrimes View Post
If you wont fit on a smaller bike, I doubt you'll be comfy on a gixxer
Load of tosh. Gixxers are near enough same size as the SV.
Old 07-06-11, 12:08 PM   #22
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrimes View Post
you'd learn equally as quickly on a gsxr as you would your sv providing they are both restricted, I would of thought.
I think SV is excellent for learning. The crap suspension actually does a really good job of teaching smoothness in weight transfer that carries well onto other bikes. Engine braking makes for good throttle control. I think learning fast riding on a GSXR you'd miss this.
Old 07-06-11, 05:07 PM   #23
OZSV

Here in Aus, some states have LAMS (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme). This smashed the stupidity of everyone having to ride no more than a 250cc bike...which was dangerous because most Aussies were physically too tall to fit on these tiny Jap contraptions.

With this brain-wave of LAMS, it opened up a whole world of more suitable bikes, and many major manufacturers jumped onboard to claim their share of a captive market...BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha and many others.

The biggest loop-hole ever with this scheme here, is with a LAMS "pointy" SV that has an ECU which smacks power down after 7500rpm (similar to the UK so we are led to believe). Around town and on highways, this still unleashes the best torque/power range of what the bike has to offer due to the engine characteristics. I'm not sure of the finer points of kw/weight restrictions, but the system is a freakin' joke with the SV, much as the Aprilia RS250 used to be under the old system. All other bikes are sluggish n ****e in comparison.

To the OP, it is not the best bike to start on with no riding experience...something like a Kawasaki ZZ-R250 or GPX-250 is what you need to learn the fundamentals of sportsbikes. If you're game enough after try a 2-stroke 125 to refine riding skills and throttle control, then move up to a restricted bigger bike, and then and then. Baby-steps to refine skills and control will result in a better n more confident rider.

If it's any consolation, sitting on the new GSXR range, I found the riding position pure turd, especially the footpegs and gearshift! I'll forgive the looks somewhat, but until they sort that bike out for people over 6" I'll choose the Triumph 675
Old 07-06-11, 05:17 PM   #24
Hicks46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazDaz View Post

Yeah, size wasn't really an issue. The SV is obviously extremely more comfortable though, especially 2-up.
Old 07-06-11, 05:26 PM   #25
OZSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks46 View Post
Yeah, size wasn't really an issue. The SV is obviously extremely more comfortable though, especially 2-up.
The new Gixxer is a brilliant machine, make no mistake. My ex-gf has just bought a new 600 and thought it was awesome, but the footpeg n esp gearshift lever was a jaw-dropping fail for such a bike. I'm 6" and 72kg's, and didn't feel right on it. Having said that, I still don't like the footpeg height on the 2011 SV (needs to be back n up 2-3cm), nor the length of the gearshift lever, as I clip my boot on it too often...that needs to be 1cm shorter.

I made the move to Japanese after years of Italian, but stupid stuff like this stands out WAY too easily n makes me wonder why...

Having said that, reliability and esp 2-up is awesome!

Last edited by OZSV; 07-06-11 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 05:37 PM   #26
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

We've done 500+ miles from the isle of skye to Halifax on interesting roads, not much motorway and were fine after. Getting a little tired but could have done the same the next day no problem.
Old 07-06-11, 06:17 PM   #27
mcgrimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazDaz View Post
It is smaller, not much, but there is certainly less room.
Old 07-06-11, 06:20 PM   #28
mcgrimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I think SV is excellent for learning. The crap suspension actually does a really good job of teaching smoothness in weight transfer that carries well onto other bikes. Engine braking makes for good throttle control. I think learning fast riding on a GSXR you'd miss this.
Agreed, an excellent beginner bike. I only actually realised how suspension/brakes make such a difference when I upgraded.
Old 07-06-11, 11:42 PM   #29
Hicks46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZSV View Post
The new Gixxer is a brilliant machine, make no mistake. My ex-gf has just bought a new 600 and thought it was awesome, but the footpeg n esp gearshift lever was a jaw-dropping fail for such a bike. I'm 6" and 72kg's, and didn't feel right on it. Having said that, I still don't like the footpeg height on the 2011 SV (needs to be back n up 2-3cm), nor the length of the gearshift lever, as I clip my boot on it too often...that needs to be 1cm shorter.

I made the move to Japanese after years of Italian, but stupid stuff like this stands out WAY too easily n makes me wonder why...

Having said that, reliability and esp 2-up is awesome!

The new Gixxers are excellent! I completely agree! My friend bought a 2010 with an ECU 33BHP restriction.

I was a lovely bike until we went out for a ride with both our restricted bikes haha. In my opinion, he drastically overspent not just for a first big bike, but also for a bike to be restricted!
Old 08-06-11, 12:19 AM   #30
Stenno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ging6996 View Post
Just get the Gsxr and pretend it's restricted.
Graham
PMSL. I bought an SV and pretend it's a Gsxr.