SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-09-07, 09:36 AM   #1
mattglavin

Angry Clicking Knocking Noise ?

Can anyone help !!

I have a knocking/clicking noise which seems to come from the chain or front sprocket at low RPM/Low speed after the first 20 miles of a ride.

Once I speed up or increase the revs the noise and feeling in the left peg disapears.

I have only just purchased the bike, when i got it it had a sort of Scottoiler cheap version fitted which wasn't actually working. The bike has done 29000 miles but I don't know how many of those were on this dry chain.

There are no signs of damage to the sprockets or chain but I don't know how long they have been on.

The noise isn't there on idle or neutral.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, the bike is 2002 SV650S.
Old 10-09-07, 09:54 AM   #2
skidmarx

Default Re: Clicking Knocking Noise ?

Sounds well dodge to me, I'd get it checked out before going too far, you wouldn't want the chain to break . You could have a seized link in the chain or something, would you know what to look for?
Old 10-09-07, 09:58 AM   #3
Berlin

Sounds like sticky links in the chain. Give it a good seeing to with some lube and even consider replacing them.

Have you tried dropping the back wheel out to see how bad the chain is/ should allow you to check the links individually.
Old 10-09-07, 10:01 AM   #4
mattglavin

I've degreased the chain and had a good look at it, re tensioned it and inspected front and rear sprckets. The chain has got some surface rust on the edges and seems to be quite baggy, I spose . I was hoping that it was the chain in bad condition and nothing else. I have just changed the oil and filter and there were no metal flecks or shavings in it so I don't think it's internal. I think I will change the chain and sprockets.
Old 10-09-07, 10:02 AM   #5
mattglavin

That is what I was thinking, I have given it a good lubing but it still has a tight spot in it. I don't think it has been very well looked after !!!
Old 10-09-07, 10:05 AM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Hooked front sprocket, possably, happened on my SV & TT.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 10:08 AM   #7
mattglavin

Can I assume that I am safe to use it for the time being ?
Old 10-09-07, 10:22 AM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

If it were me I'd get it changed asap. Last thing you want is a snapped chain, it can be nasty.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 10:24 AM   #9
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattglavin View Post
Can I assume that I am safe to use it for the time being ?
If the chains knackered it could snap, so no, best you don't use it if you don't have to. And if you do, no big handfuls of throttle!
Old 10-09-07, 10:25 AM   #10
mattglavin

How easy is it to do yourself, I have got mechanical experiance and don't get scared too easy.